Monday, August 18, 2014

Final, fond, Feltz farewell

A throng of Friends of the Feltz family and Monongah High Lions from everywhere Sunday packed 200-plus-year-old Monongah Baptist Church for the Celebration of Life of Jamie Feltz Riley, 50, a life-long member of the church who passed away Thursday after years of dealing with MS.

There were so many that the line was a long and a fitting tribute to Jaimie and the family. You couldn't move right or left or backward, only forward to offer the family your condolences.

Her mother, Betty Lynn Wilson, widow of famous Monongah High football coach Jim Feltz; her brother, Jay Feltz, famous MHS 1973 state title-winning quarterback from South Carolina; and her brother, Jon Pat Feltz, famous Monongah Elementary math teacher, were there, too.

So was the Olesky family which, as it has for 70 years, shared in the sorrows and triumphs of each other's lives. Jackie Olesky Straight, Class of 1950, from Rivesville was there with her daughter, Lea Ann Straight Barnes, from Clarksburg, and Lea Ann's son, Adam Barnes, who was friends with Jayce Riley, Jamie's son, during their Fairmont West days together.

Perhaps Jane Pritchard Moore, Class of 1975, said it best:
We attended a beautiful, touching Celebration of Life honoring Jamie Feltz Riley yesterday. She was an amazing lady who will be missed by so many. I'm so glad Henry, Allison and I were able to attend. I got to speak to the family which I admire so much, and especially Jay that I don't think I've seen since graduation back in 1975. Precious memories. RIP, Jamie.”
Later, Jane wrote to a friend:
“I was going to introduce myself, but it was so crowded. I didn't get the chance to catch up to you afterward.”
Toni Brunett Ricer, Fairmont Senior and Fairmont State graduate who works at the Fairmont Times West Virginian, responded: “I saw you ahead of me but lost sight of you when I got into the church.”


“As I'm standing in line just waiting to get into the church, I am already getting extremely teary-eyed and a pit in my stomach. So many people here to celebrate the life of Jamie Feltz Riley. I can only hope and pray she truly knew how much of an amazing person she was and how much this whole community will miss her sweet soul. I don't blame God for wanting you a little early. Rest easy, my dear.”

Shelly Guidry Brophy, who moved from Louisiana to Morgantown, wrote:

My beautiful, dear, wonderful outspoken, absolutely honest friend, Jamie Feltz Riley, passed away (the angels and heaven couldn't have asked for a better person to know and enjoy the company of...Truly! She will entertain you for millenniums to come)."

Former White Hall Pharmacy technician Janet Cloninger Izydore, who moved from North Carolina to Fairmont, wrote:

“I know it's a very sad day, but a great angel that's true!!!”

Jackie Fitch, Barrackville High and Fairmont State graduate who works at WVU wrote:

“Our lives are changing in many different ways. Jamie will be missed. The Love of her family will live on. They have our support. Today we will hold her in our hearts.”

It’s a rare thing to see such an outpouring from an entire community. Jim, Jason and Jody welcome Jamie to their Kingdom.
RIP, J, J, J & J!


I find it especially fitting that Jamie, who grew up next door to Our Lady of Pompeii Church on Church Street, should make her final exit from this world at Monongah Baptist Church on Lyndon Avenue only a few minutes drive from the green house that the Feltz family bought from Junior Domico’s family.

No comments:

Post a Comment