Friday, December 25, 2015


Irene Shenasky, 98, passes away

 

Irene W. Shenasky, 98, of Fazio's Eldercare in Monongah died Wednesday December 23, 2015. She previously lived in Clarksburg.

Arrangements which are private are under the care of Ross Funeral Home 801 Fairmont Avenue Fairmont.

Condolences may be sent to www.rossfh.com .

Redheaded and beautiful Irene was married to dentist John Henry Shenasky, if I remember his name right, the son of Pete Shenasky and Nell Shenasky, who ran the P.P. Shenasky Grocery on Camden Avenue (U.S. 19), next to Thoburn Elementary and across the street from Monzo Grocery where I used to watch the Italians play bocce ball under the lights next to Monzo’s.

Irene was a piano teacher. I had taken piano lessons from Sister Agnes for five years, for a quarter for each lesson. One day, when Irene and her husband, a dentist, came to our house, for another one of John Henry’s unannounced visits to work on my teeth before I had time to work up my phobia, my Mom proudly had me play the piano for Irene.

Irene listened intently as I played. She turned to my mother, Lena Futten Olesky of Church Street, and said:


“Save your quarters.”

That was the end of my piano lessons.

The next day, my mother sold the piano.

To this day my sister, Jackie Olesky Straight, blames my piano ineptitude for our parents refusing to shell out quarters to continue her piano lessons with the nuns after she was two years into the process.

 

No piano, no more lessons.

Irene’s sister-in-law and Pete and Nell’s daughter, Amelia Shenasky Zentz, still lives on
Shenasky Lane, just off U.S. 19 and across from where the Shenasy Grocery once thrived.

 

Later, Amelia and husband Bruce Zentz opened up the Dairy Kone.

 

The Shenasky building today is owned by J.L. Boggess, the son of Evelyn Kasper Boggess, Class of 1953, and husband Okey Boggess, a retired coal miner, who live in the childhood Kasper home in the Frogtown section of Monongah just before you get to Swisher Hill.

Evelyn’s brother, Bob Kasper, has homes in South Lyon and Presque Isle (Grand Lake), Michigan. Their older, adopted sister, Helen, passed away decades ago.

Bob gave me Helen’s 1973 North Marion High directory, which includes Monongah and other schools consolidated into North Marion.

I use the North Marion directory regularly, along with the graduation list for every year at Monongah High that Ramona Fullen Michalski, Class of 1949, provided for me, when I put together articles for this blog about Monongah High Alumni.
RIP, Irene. Tell the Heavenly Harpsichordist to “save your quarters.”

No comments:

Post a Comment