Sunday, October 12, 2014



Do you have childhood photos of Danny Morris?

Charity Morris, the late Danny Morris’ daughter, is putting together a photo album of her dad for Charity’s daughters – Danny’s granddaughters.

Wrote Charity:
“Hello John,

“This is Charity, Daniel Morris's daughter. Since my daddy passed away, my girls
keep talking about him knowing they loved him very much. Daddy told the girls
lots of things about Monongah when he was living. Even we took a trip up there
and he got to show them where he went to schools.  Now I'm doing the book about
him for the girls for Christmas. I have a tiny problem hoping you could help me with
it. Do you have any picture of grade school? I'm hoping someone would have a
picture of grade school to share with me.

“Think you could help me with it? If
you cannot help me with it, no problem at all.

“Thank you for taking your time to read my message.

“Charity”

After an exchange of emails, Charity added:


“I gathered lots of pictures of him. Even collected some pictures of places in Monongah such as an old Monongah Movie Theater. Daddy said whenever the film stopped working, folks would make noises by stomping feet to hurry up for someone to fix the film to run again.

“Found an old picture of the streetcar station that was close to high school. I even found an old picture of Post Office where my grandfather (Earle Morris) was a postmaster. Thought that would make it interesting for anyone to know Monongah wasn't only a place for mining but it had places where folks went to.

“I tried to find some pictures where my great uncle Marvin and great aunt Lillian ran a hot dog place across from MHS. I'm still trying to find a picture of grade school where daddy attended.”


Charity wasn’t sure whether Danny attended Sts. Peter and Paul or East Monongah, but he described it as “a small brick school with four rooms,” which sounds like P&P but I don’t know how many rooms were at the East Monongah school. Perhaps Otis “Sarge” Shriver, best man at Danny’s wedding, can help?

If you have any childhood photos of Danny, Class of 1947, email them to Charity in jpeg format at julylady74@gmail.com  

Danny passed away in 2013. Danny’s father, Earl Morris, is a former Monongah postmaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment