Sunday, February 7, 2016

Tossing tidbits to you

The last class from Monongah High graduated in 1979.

The last class from old Fairmont East graduated in 1993.

The “new” part of Fairmont General opened in 1970.

Hills Department Store in Fairmont was rebranded Ames in 1999.

Fairmont’s Low Level Bridge was closed in the 1980’s.

The Coal Festival was changed to the Three Rivers Festival 17 years ago. Paula and I attended last year.

Owens Illinois factory in Fairmont closed in 1982.

Sharon Steel closed in 1979.

The last streetcar line was removed in 1950. Not even the building where stationmaster Ted McDaniel was in charge is there now. Just grass.

But the concrete steps that the late Bill Birdsell rode me down, sitting on his bike’s handlebars, is still there.

So is the lump in my throat when I realize that it could have been my last day on earth.

Kids!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment