Friday, February 5, 2016


Fire Capt. Jim Birdsell’s broken back mending



Monongah Fire Department Captain Jim Birdsell, who had quadruple bypass surgery May 12, 2014, is recovering from a broken back suffered three weeks ago.

Jim writes:

“Been blessed with a lot of help from friends and family plus the wife has been so terrific in recovery. Made it to fire station first-time since it happened and my second family was glad I was able to make it a long way to go to get back on my feet but with everyone in my life I will be OK. Thanks everyone for the prayers and words.”

Angela Birdsell is Jim’s wife. They live in Millersville, West Virginia and have been married for several years.

North Marion grad Jim’s dad is Edwin Birdsell, Class of 1973, who grew up on Park Avenue by Mount Calvary cemetery as a son of Zelda and Byron Birdsell, Class of 1947, a long-time Monongah mailman.

Byron’s brother, the late Bill Birdsell, was in my 1950 class at Monongah High and achieved fame by riding me double on his bicycle handlebars down 50 streetcar station steps in Monongah without crashing the bike or smashing my head into the concrete or plowing into stationmaster Ted McDaniel’s workplace.

Bill, Class of 1950, married Fairmont Field Club pro Reggie Spencer’s daughter, Barbara, and became a golf course maintenance guru in Florida where Bill’s son is in charge of the greenkeeping at the University of Florida.

Just to confuse me more, there’s a Byron Birdsell who is a 1982 North Marion grad who must be the 1947 Byron Birdsell’s grandson.

If anyone can untangle the Birdsell family tree for me, email John Olesky at jo4wvu@neo.rr.com Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment