Tuesday, February 9, 2016


Another Currier & Ives moment for Monongah. Mean ol' snow!

‘Not again?” Meany snow!

Well, snarfy snow is being mean to Marion County and much of West Virginia again today. Well, at least there was a two-week lull after up to 42 inches of snow Jan. 22-23.

The heaviest snow is forecast in sections of the northern and southern mountains, but that doesn’t mean Monongah and vicinity are being spared.

Fairview's Ronda Parrish Retton filed this astonishing report:

"I went through Rivesville and a State Road plow truck was in a ditch. You know it is a bad day on winter roads when the plow truck is in the ditch!"

Indeed, Rhonda.


Tammy Vicario of Fairmont reported:

“Lots of accidents. Roads covered and very hazardous. Town is very bad.”

Christina Warren reported:

“Old Monongah Road & Mary Lou Retton are horrible.”


“Rt 218 Idamay snow covered.”
Jackie's mailbox laden with wet snow


“Big Tree Drive in Fairmont is horrible. It's worse than after the big storm we had.”


“Daybrook and all connecting roads are horrible!!”

Susanne Boswell Coulson used the same word for I-79 in Marion County: “Horrible.”

Diane Meyers Moran switched to “terrible”:

“I had to drive from Weston to Fairmont at 6 and Marion County was terrible!”


“Rt 73 to I-79 covered n slick. Tom's Run also. Tractor part of a tractor trailer in ditch on 73.”

Ed Hopple reported:

“Route 250 from Rachel to Farmington is horrible. I would not consider them FAIR as stated on WV511.”

My sister, Jackie Olesky Straight, Class of 1955, who lives in Rivesville, emailed:


“John, when I  went outside early this am there was 4 inches of wet, heavy snow.  I shoveled for 1/2 hour and came back to another inch.  Right now we have 6 inches and I measured it with a yardstick! 

“While it is still snowing, it isn't as heavy.  I will go out again to re-shovel what I did this AM and try to do more.  With it being so wet and heavy, I can't do as much at a time. 

“Yuck!  I will send you a photo of my mailbox but more snow is on it now.

The mailbox is on a curve, so it gets whacked regularly when the secondary road is icy or snow-covered.

Rae Bishop was detoured at Grafton Wal Mart “and was told that 119 to Morgantown was closed.”


“Rt 131 in Bridgeport is icy with cars ditching by the Rec Complex.”


“Truck's stuck on hill Daybrook rt 218.”

Debbie Raschella: “Rt 250 wrecks.”

Mae Coburn: “Rt 73 south of Fairmont covered.”


“I-79 north & I-68 east are very slushy and slick.”

Sadie Long summed it up for all winter-weary West Virginians:

“Not again? And still coming down.”

The National Weather Service lists West Virginia as one of the states that will get a heavy snowfall.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment