Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Tribute to Benn Morgan

Mike Loss, Class of 1969, son of Suzanne Barr Loss, Class of 1948, and the late Arnold “J.B.” Loss, Class of 1947, offers this tribute to his former Monongah High classmate, Benn Morgan, Class of 1948, a retired music teacher and organist/choir director of the Old Durham Church in Maryland who passed away February 16 in Callaway, Maryland:

Hi John,

     Hope you're good.  Have a tribute for Benn Morgan.

     The Barr Family and I knew him as "Benny." (He never corrected us and said he preferred Benn.)  Such a nice and gentle man.  My mother absolutely adored him and enjoyed a lifelong, close friendship with him.  Knew Benny all my life.  His mom Gertrude and father Arch lived next door to my grandparents.  Every Summer he would spend much of his school break in Worthington. Benny was a gifted pianist.  Our Family spent many enjoyable hours sitting on our porch listening to him play.  What a treat!  Remember many Summer evenings enjoying his music.  

     Like most West Virginia boys that grew up in the '50s and '60s, I was a bicycle kid.  When I was 9 or 10, Benny came in for his annual visit.  He brought his 3-speed English bike with him.  I had only seen one in the Sears/Roebuck catalog.  Of course I went over to admire his bike.  Actually, I was salivating over it.  Benny was so generous. He showed me how the shifter and brakes worked.  He told me anytime I wanted to ride it, just to come over and get it.  (Which of course I did.)

     Several years ago I reconnected with Benny through the original Monongah High Alumni site.  (Thanks again John.  I really appreciate your hard work and dedication.)

     Benny was living life to the fullest.  Still playing Organ in his Church and his at home. One of his most treasured possessions was his Steinway piano.  I googled it and learned all about its history and how they're built. Fascinating subject.

     Knew Benny's birthday was March 11th.  Was getting ready to send him email wishing him a happy birthday when I learned of his passing.

     Don't know if any of the Morgan Family are left.  But to any friends or Family left who were lucky enough to know this talented, friendly man, I would like to say, rest in peace my Friend.  The World was a better place because you were in it.
                                                                                          Your Old Friend and neighbor,
                                                                                         Mike   

Mike is my cousin by way of the original J.B. Loss and Frank and Gezala Loss of Mill Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment