Friday, November 6, 2015



This is no lazy Susan who will light up Monongah for Christmas

Susan Sanders is giddy over the way the ball is rolling in her fundraising drive to have Christmas lights installed in the town of Monongah.

Writes Susan:

“Good Morning. I had our 1st fundraising meeting last night (Thursday, Nov. 5, my birthday) at my home. And it was wonderful.

Teena Field Ailstock and Valerie Vandetta Aldridge were here. We had a great time. The girls had great ideas and will be a huge help. Mareca Savonarola could not come but dropped off a wonderful dessert."

That would be Valerie Vandetta Aldridge, Class of 1973, and Teena Field Ailstock, 1984 North Marion grad.

Susan continues:
 
“This is just the beginning. We will all see our wonderful town lit up and be so thankful for all those who have helped to make this happen. I am already writing thank-you cards thanks to Chris Martin who did an awesome job. Also want to thank Tonya over at the water office who is keeping a list of names and addresses for me to send the thank-you cards. God Bless You All.”
Well, Susan, you certainly lit MY fire.
After checking with Susan about the cost of installing one light, I sent this letter to Monongah Mayor Greg Vandetta with my check for $115:

Mayor Greg Vandetta:

Susan Sanders tells me that the faceplate and strap to hold the light is $45 apiece plus 1 receptacle for $25. My Mary Turkovich math says that’s $115 to get one Christmas light up and ready to brighten Monongah for Christmas.

So here’s my $115 donation to handle one of the eight lights that White Hall donated to Monongah.

If you’re OK with it, you can put this photo of me petting an uncaged tiger in Thailand on the post.

I will always appreciate growing up in Monongah. It was a marvelous childhood!

And attending Sts. Peter and Paul and Monongah High provided me with a superb education that led to a 43-year newspaper career that enabled me, after my retirement in 1996, to travel to 53 countries and 43 states and spend 20 winters in Florida.

Monongah will always be a special place to me. I am honored to be one of her sons.

John Olesky
Monongah High Class of 1950
217 N. Thomas Road
Tallmadge, OH 44278

I thought it was amazingly appropriate that I mailed the check on my birthday, since it was to the town where I was born Nov. 5, 1932 in my Polish grandparents' house on Walnut Street, at the Pike Street intersection (top house on the right).

OK, that was MY response to Susan Sanders’ ebullient enthusiasm.

Who’s next?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment