Sunday, December 21, 2014



All we have to worry about it whether we’ll have a white Christmas and, if we trave;, will the roads be cleared so that we can get to grandma’s house.

Adam Michna, 1980 North Marion graduate, has a far different Christmas story:

“70 years ago, my father spent the winter and Christmas in a foxhole in the Ardennes during WWII (Battle of the Bulge). He told me that it was, ‘cold, wet, rainy ... and everybody who crawled out of the hole got shot by German snipers. We all had lice. I ate what I had, slept when I could. Eventually we received back-up, and later were sent to Nancy, France where we received new uniforms.’ 

"And he always told me that, ‘I didn't think I would make it out of there alive.’ I am glad he did. So, if you think your Christmas is not what you think it should be, think of those in our service!”

Sherry Puccio, living in Monongah with husband Tony Puccio, chimes in:

“Donna Davis’ dad was in that battle; he never made it home .... so HAPPY for you that your Dad made it home and you have good Christmas memories to look back on...”

My niece, Lea Ann Straight Barnes, daughter of Jackie Olesky Straight, Class of 1950, wrote:
Frank Michna was my biology teacher at Fairmont State in 1984!  I recognized him immediately when I saw the picture.  What a story!  We all have so much to be grateful for this Christmas and always.  Thanks for posting Adam's story about his dad.  Small world.
Lea Ann Straight Barnes

1984 Rivesville High Graduate

The under-prepared and out-manned U.S. Army suffered 100,000 casualties from the surprise December 1944 German thrust, which imitated the tactic that was successful for the Germans in September 1870, August 1914 and May 1940.

The inexperienced U.S. 106th Division was nearly annihilated.

Lieutenant General George S. Patton’s maneuvering of the Third Army to Bastogne helped turn the tide.


So, have a merry Christmas and a happy New Year AND remember that our troops around the world make it possible. Thank God and the military for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment