Friday, April 11, 2014

Marylee’s memories of Hertzog Drug Store

Just as Patsy Forte’s drug store was in the center of Monongah’s business district, Hertzog Drug Store was a Worthington landmark for more than a half-century.
At my request, Marylee Hertzog Gwinn, Class of 1948, who lives in Rockville, Maryland, provided some background on the business that her father started from the ground up.

Marylee’s email:

John,

There are many things I should have asked my Dad but never thought about until he was gone.

He wrote many things (newspapers and articles) over the years and I could find more facts if I looked but I'll just give you what I remember.

My father, Virgil R. Hertzog, was teaching chemistry at WVU in the Pharmacy School. He and another man from WVU either started or bought the store in Worthington in about 1922. I always have thought it was bought but never discussed it so have no idea if there was a store already there or not.

He ran the store with family and several other employees until 1972 when he sold all the stuff in the building and moved to Fairmont.

Louise Crim, the mother of Martha and Reid, worked for Dad. I think Nellie Demus was the last owner and had the building torn down for some reason.

I must mention that Benn Morgan worked for Dad and made the homemade ice cream that we were famous for.

My brother Dick (Monongah 1942) and I worked there from the time we could see over the counters until Dick went into the army and I got married. Mother would relieve us if we had something to do at night. It was a full-time job for the whole family but my Dad wanted to be his own boss. I wouldn't do that for anything.

Dad was a very interesting man and was into many things. I mentioned he wrote a newspaper. It was the Worthington News and I can't remember if it was weekly or monthly but he typed it on an old typewriter with two fingers just like I am doing now. I think it was free but not sure about that either.

I probably have given you more than you wanted.  

Marylee

P.S. Looking over your request, my brother was Richard and graduated from WVU with a degree in Chemical Engineering. He lived mostly in the Philadelphia, New Jersey area and died in 2005. He left 2 daughters and one son and 2 grandsons.

By the way, Mother lived to be 100 and Dad 102. I could go on forever but will quit now.

Thanks for an amazing look into Worthington history, Marylee! Wow! 100 and 102! You’re only 83, based on your graduation year, so you have about two decades left on this earth.

Benn Morgan, Class of 1948, is a retired music teacher and organist/choir director of the Old Durham Church, chartered in 1661, near LaPlata, Maryland.

Reid Crim’s widow is Kathryn Toothman Crim, Class of 1950, who lives in Farwell, Michigan on adjoining 40-acre properties with her housemate for more than three decades, Dick Blevens. They spent a lot of time riding ATVs on their 80 acres of combined land.

The Demus family was famous in Worthington for producing football players for Monongah High and Italian sausage sold at the Demus Market that closed in 2009. Nick Demus, Class of 1945, a former Lion gridder, had the unhappy distinction of supervising the closing.

Nellie Demus Bailey, Class of 1938, had moved from Indiana to take over Dad’s store with brother Nick.  

There was Joan Demus, Class of 1941; Rose Demus Argiro, Class of 1941, who married Larry Argiro and moved to Maryland; Michael “Mickey” Demus, Class of 1948; Theresa Demus, Class of 1950, Food and Drug Administration retiree who died in 2005; Jim Demus, Class of 1954, football star (of course) at MHS; Ramona Rose Demus, Class of 1971, who died in 1977; and  
Nick Demus III, Class of 1973.

And maybe I missed some because the Demus family was very widespread. If I did, email John Olesky at jo4wvu@neo.rr.com and I’ll add them to this article. 

If you want to re-connect with Marylee, her phone number is (301) 762-6048 and her email address is MaryleeGwinn@aol.com  and her birthday is Sept. 25.   


Bonita Lavencheck Waybright, Class of 1968, who lives in Blacksburg, Virginia, after reading this MHS Alumni blog article, emailed her memories of the Hertzog Drug Store:

"John, 
"My memory of Hertzog's is eating their raspberry ice cream when I was a kid.  As a kid in the 50's that was the only place I knew of that sold raspbery ice cream. 
"As an adult now,  I often tell people about it when talk turns to  childhood memories. 
  
"Bonita Lavencheck Waybright, Class of 1968" 

Jeanette Barr Baczuk, Class of 1940, who lives in Ashland, Ohio, remembers the milkshakes:


"Boy, what I remember about the drug store is the great milkshakes Mr. Hertzog made.  Wish I could have one now, but they don't make them like that anymore.
"Mr. and Mrs. Hertzog's were best friends with Mom and Daddy.  When Mom died, I remember Mr. Hertzog saying to me, 'We have lost our last friend.'  And that was the truth.  They outlived everyone. 
"They visited Mom frequently at The Arbors, and I apprecriated that."

Jim McDaniel, Class of 1969, who lives in Behoboth Beach, Delaware, remembers the entire block:

"John:  

"Ref The Drug Store in Worthington.  Velma Hartley also worked there for Doc Herzog.  Her sons Nelson and Delmas graduated from Monongah High.  

"The building on the right was Thompson's grocery and hardware store.  My first wife was a niece to the Thompsons.  

"The house after that was the Ark Hotel.  My good friend Barry McIntyre grew up in that house.  Also the Jones family lived upstairs.  Cloris Jones was a graduate of Monongah. Think she was a majorette.  She was best friends with my sister, Joann Huff (McDaniel).

"Jim McDaniel"

What about YOU? If you have memories of the Hertzog Drug Store in Worthington, email them to me, too, at jo4wvu@neo.rr.com and I’ll add them to this article.


No comments:

Post a Comment