Friday, August 18, 2017

Tribute is in the Summer 2017 Media magazine for WVU School of Journalism alumni.

Tribute to Mickey Furfari

Mickey and I were friends from the day I walked into the Morgantown Dominion-News to work 40 hours a week while taking 19 credit hours at WVU’s School of Journalism.

I didn't get much sleep, but got a valuable boost-up for my 43-year newspaper career.

The managing editor I worked under was an alcoholic so, when he had “dinner,” he wouldn’t return for hours.

So Mickey took me under his wing.

Till Mickey’s death, we talked by phone twice a month. About sports. But about everyone else.

Mickey, unless many celebrities, did not have a super ego. His attitude was: I’m just another guy working for a living.

Even though he was famous throughout West Virginia for covering WVU sports from the 1940s till his July 11 death in 2016.

He was born in Morgantown as Domenick Furfari, Jr. to Domenick, Sr. and Josephine Catalano Furfari.

His legacy will never die.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment