Friday, January 8, 2016

Mike Loss tribute to Mark Urban

Mark Urban
Mike Loss, Class of 1969, son of Suzanne Barr Loss, Class of 1948, and the late Arnold “J.B.” Loss, Class of 1947, offers this tribute to his former Monongah High classmate, Mark Urban, Class of 1969, who passed away in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Hi John,

Just found out about Mark's passing.  So sad. 

Mark and I were in the same class at Monongah High.  Knew the entire Urban Family.  Their grocery store was a fixture in Monongah for many years.  My Family shopped there and we thought of them as friends. 


Mike Loss
In the mid '60s my Dad badly injured his leg in a train wreck and was unable to work for several months.  Back then the railroad eventually paid, but times were tough for a  while.

Dad went and talked to the two Stanleys and explained his predicament.  They immediately told him he could have credit and he could pay when he got his settlement.  What wonderful people! 

Our World has changed.  The "Mom and Pop's" are disappearing.  DeMary's in Rivesville is, so far as I  know,  the only one left in the County.

I joined the Army in 1969 and got out in 1972.  Lost touch with my friends and classmates.  To all those people, I'd like to say, I've never forgotten you.  Still wishing you the best and hope life has been kind to you.



A couple of years ago, I reconnected with Mark on Facebook.  We caught up with each other's lives and talked about our shared history.  Had the opportunity to thank him and his Family for their kindness to the Loss Family.  Told him how I thought about the Urbans every time I drove by their old place.  I know you can't go back, but you can still treasure the memories.  

So to Greg, Brenda and all the Urban Family, my condolences. Mark was a genuinely nice person and I'll miss him.

Your old friend,
Mike Loss

Mike lives on Worthington’s Harter Hill with Susie Jett. His siblings are David Loss, who lives on the Loss property once owned by Frank Loss, brother of Arnold’s father, the original J.B. Loss, and the late Elliott Barr Loss.

Mike and former wife Donna Loss have a daughter, Andie, and a grand daughter, Vivian.

During one of the long United Mine Workers' strikes in Monongah, P.P. Shenasky did the same favor for my family, putting our Shenasky Grocery purchases on credit till after the strike was settled and my dad was getting a paycheck again.

No large box grocery chain would do that for us, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment