Sunday, June 21, 2015





A major splish-splash!

It’s not the first time that I’ve been told that I’m all wet, but this weekend at Niagara Falls there was no disputing it.

I was a Father’s Day guest of my daughter Monnie Ann and her husband, Bob. We were met on Goat Island by their son, Raymond, who is working in Buffalo.

Raymond is one of my seven grandchildren (I also have two great-grandchildren and three children).

Anyway, on Saturday we rode the Maid of the Mist, which packs hundreds of willing, paid participants in blue plastic for a closeup view of the American Falls that doses you with the spray from six million cubic feet of water crashing down every minute.

Our boat shared the river with hundreds of equally willing paying customer in red plastic who embarked from the Canadian side.

On Sunday we climbed up and down to the Cave of the Winds, where you wear flip-flops and yellow plastic protection and your clothing gets soaked to your kneecaps anyway.

On Saturday night, we enjoyed night music on the streets of Niagara Falls, including a singer with a guitar singing “Country Roads” and a guy with a saxphone who played loud enough to be heard a half-block away.
And, as usual, I met someone in "WV" clothing between nature's wetdowns. From China to Turkey to Norway, Mountaineers usually show up during my travels.

It wasn’t my first time to visit Niagara Falls. But it was a fabulous Father’s Day present.

It’s a three-falls nature’s gift to the world: Horseshoe Falls, mostly in Canada; and American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls, entirely within USA borders.

Goat Island is between American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls.

How about you? Email John Olesky at jo4wvu@neo.rr.com about your travels or family events, and provide photos in jpeg format that I can use on this blog, which is for every Monongah High graduate who ever lived or died.

No comments:

Post a Comment