Wednesday, June 3, 2015



I’m a bit of a nutcase when it comes to my alma mater, West Virginia University; or my family, children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren; or fellow Monongah High graduates; or travel.

My den is my WVU shrine, and then some.

Photos of Mountaineer Field games. Books about Jerry West and by Mickey Furfari and Coach Don Nehlen. WVU football autographed by Daryll Talley. Grandchildren’s photos on the wall. Children’s wedding photos on the shelf. Monongah High classmates on the walls. Travel photos on the walls and photo montages from all of our trips to 52 countries and 43 states and 11 cruises hanging on the front and back of the door to the den, 2 and 3 layers deep to get them all on there. WV curtains. WV clock on the wall. Two WV lamps in the den.

WV rugs on the floor.

WVU shower curtains in the downstairs bathroom. Two WV rugs on that floor. Shelf of WV mementoes. WV sink towel.

Sugar bowl from WVU’s Sugar Bowl appearance on the dining table.

And, when I go to bed at night, I sleep on a WVU pillow that is the width of the bed.

And when I drive to Mountaineer Field for a game (I’ve had season tickets for decades), a JO 4 WVU license tag is on my 2014 Honda Accord.

And I didn’t even photograph my clothing with WV on it. It clogs my closet. I wear it everywhere I go. WVU fans stop and chat with me, in Ohio, in Florida, in countries around the world.

Loyalty is big with me. That’s why I’m big on WVU, family, high school friends. Travel is a bonus.

If you really want to wade through all the WV stuff in our home (Paula’s a Kent State graduate; same colors as WVU), click on

No comments:

Post a Comment