Friday, February 10, 2017

Belinda, on right, with mom Jackie and uncle John

Jackie’s daughter in 23-car pileup


Belinda Morris, daughter of Jackie Olesky Straight, Class of 1950, who lives in Rivesville, was in an 23-vehicle pileup on I-79 north near Bridgeport on Thursday.

Her Lincoln Navigator was rear-ended after Belinda stopped her car to avoid a wreck in front of her, by a pickup truck. The pickup slammed Belinda’s stopped car into the vehicle in front of her.

And then caused the Navigator to turn sideways into both lanes so that Belinda’s car was hit on the driver’s side by one vehicle and on the passenger side by another.

Miraculously, Belinda and a pregnant lady were the only ones hospitalized. And, despite injuries to her arm, shoulder, knee and head, survived because the Navigator is a long car.

The impact ripped Belinda's seatbelt open. She said: "After I saw I was against the guardrail and no one else was hitting me, I said, 'Thanks, God!' "
State Police told Belinda’s husband, Dave, that the large car saved her life. I can believe it.
 All the windows of the Navigator, except the front windshield, were shattered and broken with all the slam-banging going on.

Belinda said she felt like she was inside a pinball machine.

Road conditions were so bad that another pileup on I-79 south closed all but one lane on that side. I-79 north was closed to all traffic.

Belinda was on her way to meet her husband, Dave Morris, for dinner. Dave was at work in Clarksburg.

Jackie, as most of you know, is my sister. Here’s her reaction:

“John, around 4 pm Thursday Belinda was on I-79. We had snow off and on since Wednesday  night so we were having a whiteout. 

“Belinda had just left work & was driving south. She saw several cars sliding around ahead of her.  She was able to stop without hitting the car in front of her. 

“The truck behind her couldn't stop so he rear-ended her.  That sent her sideways, covering 2 lanes.  She was hit twice after that. 

“Thank God she got out of there with a contusion of arm/shoulder, a healthy bump on her head and a bruised knee. 

“The cop came to the hospital to talk with Belinda & said it was an 11-car pileup!  Only 2 went to the hospital. 

“God certainly worked a miracle that Belinda wasn't killed.  The cop said her big car saved her life (along with Divine intervention).

“We are so thankful that she will be okay.  Her car will be totaled.  Cars can be replaced; my daughter's life can't be! 

“Love, Jackie”

Amen to that, Jackie.
Belinda is my personal shopper who picks out the gifts for Jackie since I am incompetent in that area. Having Belinda be alive after that horrendous 11-car pileup is the greatest gift to Jackie and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment