Tuesday, August 16, 2016


Re-connecting with Julie Angelucci

Julie Angelucci, the quarterback when Monongah High won its first state football title in 1952, was the subject of an August 1 article that took up an entire page in the Fairmont Times.

The headline was:

Faces of our Town:
Angelucci, Olesky recall old days from Monongah

Fairmont Times Editor John Veasey’s story, with information and photos I provided my long-time friend, recalled the play that broke Winfield’s back and heart in the 20-14 game.
Julie with wife Stella

That was a play that Julie made up in the huddle, became he remembered how former Monongah High coach Earl Keener used it against Monongah when Keener was at Rivesville.
It was a pass to Dennis Jones, who went on to play for WVU and lives in Brentwood, Tennessee today after retiring as an Army general, who lateraled to the late halfback Larry Rankin, who crossed the goal line for the touchdown.

I mailed a tearsheet of the page about Julie to him at his Severna Park, Maryland home where he lives with wife Stella Kootsikas Angelucci.
Julie responded with a thank-you note.

He wrote: “I heard from people I had not heard from in 50 years.”

That is EXACTLY why I do this Monongah High Alumni blog, so that we can re-connect with each other years after our days together at Monongah High.
I owe much of my 43-year career as a newspaper editor to Monongah High and my Monongah childhood. This is payback that I enjoy as much as those of you who read the blog regularly.

Julie adds: “Incidentally, I also scored a touchdown in that game on a quarterback sneak.”

I’ll keep that in mind, Julie, the next time I mention the game that brought Monongah High the first of its five football titles.
The others came in 1952, 1968, 1969 and 1973.
 The school closed in 1979, otherwise there probably would have been more state championships. Instead, North Marion benefitted from the consolidation.

No comments:

Post a Comment