Thursday, June 10, 2021

RESERVATION FORM MUST BE IN JOHN OLESKY'S HANDS BY JUNE 26!

 


Strike up the band!

I purchased 72 songs from iTunes to play on a borrowed 35-pound speaker in the Monongah Town Hall for the July 17 J&J&Lions Get-Together, starting with dinner at 6 p.m. and music through 9 p.m.

Some songs on my tentative original list either were not available on iTunes or not by an artist that I wanted.

 

I know we will only be there for 3 hours, from 6 p.m. dinner till 9 p.m. go-home time.

 

I may have to pare it down to 3 hours or just arrange the songs in order so that "Auld Lang Syne" and "On the Road Again" play at 9 p.m.

 

It's a work in progress.

 

The songs include “God Bless America” by Kate Smith (who else?), “Country Roads” by John Denver (who else?), “America the Beautiful,” “Mona Lisa” by Nat King Cole (in honor of my late wife, who I called Mona Lisa as a play on her birth name of Monia Elizabeth), “Some Enchanted Evening,” “Be My Love,” “The Sound of Silence” by Simon and Garfunkel (who else?), “Moonlight Serenade” by Glenn Miller Orchestra (naturally), “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong, “Danny Boy,” “Blue Suede Shoes” by, of course, Elvis Presley, “Tuxedo Junction” by Glenn Miller Orchestra, “Auld Lang Syne” by Guy Lombardo Orchestra (it would be a sacrilege to use anyone else) and, a fitting end, “On the Road Again” by Willie Nelson.

 

Also, I've put together the revolving photos in a frame so that all of the ones at the J&J&Lions Get-Together in the Monongah Town Hall will see family, friends, Monongah High alumni and Monongah residents who didn’t graduate from Monongah High. Order doesn't matter because it will just roll through again and again but those who show up may see faces from the past. There are plenty of photos from Monongah High Alumni Banquets over the years in the mix so those present will recognize themselves or former classmates.

 

Since I couldn't get a band after several tries I went with the iTunes playlist. Paula's brother, Raymond, is lending me a 35-pound speaker that will be plugged into the contraption I bought that son John Larry will load up from my iTunes playlist so that the music will play at a level that will permit dancing AND talking that can be heard by senior citizens sitting across the table from each other. I can control the volume so that dancers and chatters both are happy. It will be a group effort.

 

Monongah councilman Susan Sanders and Shelly Yankie will be handling the red and black streamers (Monongah High's colors), cake and pastries. Say-Boy will provide the food once I give them an accurate head count a week before the July 17 event.

 

It takes a LOT of time to plan, and adjust, for 3 hours of fun. But it's worth it to me to have family, friends, Fazio cousins, Monongah High alumni and Monongah residents who didn't graduate from Monongah High together in a safe situation since everyone there will have had their COVID vaccine shots. Two people expressed interest but didn't have and didn't plan to have their vaccine shots and will pass on the fun. I insist on keeping it as safe as possible and still have fun.

 

If anyone has any ideas that will help make this a great gathering, email me at jo4wvu@neo.rr.com  or post on the John Olesky Facebook page or call me at (330) 388-4466. No one person can think of all the best ideas. It's a group effort.

 

Remember that the Registrations must be IN MY HANDS by June 26 so that I can give Say-Boy a body count of how many mouths to feed, and how many requested each entrée.

Just use the reservation form atop this article, print it up in 8 x 10 size, fill it out and mail it in and get ready for some good ol’ Monongah fun!

I can’t wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment