Thursday, June 24, 2021

LARGE WVU WALLHANGING THAT WILL BE ON DISPLAY JULY 17 AT MONONGAH TOWN HALL

 


These are my magic elves installing the 6 x 8 foot WVU wallhanging that I will be bringing to the July 17 J&J&Lions Get-Together in the Monongah Town Hall.

It’s my daughter LaQuita and her husband, Tom.

The wallhanging will be joined by the 28 x 36 inch framed Monongah High Lion photo and the 25-pound outline of the state of West Virginia painted in blue (with a white “W”) on the western half and yellow (with a blue “V”) on the eastern half.

The imaginary line where the blue meets the yellow will go through Morgantown, Charleston and Williamson, the first 3 towns where I made my first newspaper stops as a sportswriter before moving to the Dayton (Ohio) Daily News, the St. Petersburg (Florida) Times and the Akron (Ohio) Beacon Journal for the rest of my 43-year career, about 30 years as an editor teaching new reporters who old editors taught me.

The dinner will begin at 6 p.m. with music for listening and dancing till 9 p.m.

It’s too late to mail me a Registration form but not too late, if you hurry, to call the co-host, my sister Jackie Olesky Straight, Class of 1955, at (304) 278-7157, and she will give you directions to her Rivesville home.

Because you waited so long, Jackie will give you the Registration form to fill out at her house, and then you will pay Jackie IN CASH ONLY because it’s too late to avoid bounced checks.

Jackie will phone me with your names, your Monongah High graduation years (if you went there; not necessary to attend the event) and your choice of entrees.

In a little more than a week I have to tell Say-Boy how many mouths to feed, and how many of each entrees the mouths want.

I will pre-pay for all the food in advance so that Say-Boy can’t be stiffed from the $20 per person that I get. If I make a “profit” after aqll my 3 months of expenses I will turn every penny of it into the Monongah High Alumni Association scholarship fund. If I lose money, I’m OK with that.

Only for those who make Reservations there will be raffle tickets available for the memorabilia that Alabama Coach Nick Saban, Class of 1969, sent to me in a large box, including a football autographed by Brother and his wife, Ms. Terry (Constable Saban).

Once someone wins the football then we will keep drawing numbers and let the winners come to the table and have their choice of items that Brother graciously sent to me.

So, no more time for procrastination. IF you have had your COVID     vaccine shots, then call Jackie and fill out your Reservation form.

NO ONE will be admitted into the Monongah Town Hall without Registering in advance! We want this to be a fun and safe time.

Last-minute show-ups will NOT be admitted. 

The more money we raise for the scholarship fund the happier I will be. And the more people who laugh and smile on July 17 in the Monongah Town Hall the more delighted I will be.

We deserve this after surviving the pandemic.

This is NOT the annual Monongah High Alumni banquet but a John Olesky attempt to get family and classmates together during the summer as a break from the COVID restrictions.

iHH

 

The annual Monongah High Alumni Banquet will be on Labor Day weekend at the Knights of Columbus in Fairmont. If you have any questions call Donna Davis at 304-534-5636.

 

Donna Davis

858 Park Avenue

Monongah, WV

26554-1143


No comments:

Post a Comment