Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Catching up with
Monte Carpenter, Class of 1970

Lucy and Monte Carpenter
Monte Carpenter, Class of 1970, who lived in Worthington while attending Monongah High, lives in Baldwin Park, California (population 75,390) in the central San Gabriel Valley region of Los Angeles County.

He is married to Francisca Luz Carpenter, who goes by Lucy. She’s came to America from El Salvador in 1972. Lucy’s mother, 98 !!! , sister and brother still live in El Salvador but another brother lives one street over from Lucy and Monte and another sister lives in downtown Los Angeles.

Monte and Lucy met through a Christian dating site with the help of the church that both were attending. Monte was in the U.S. Marshal Service at the time.

His birthday is March 23, so go on his Facebook page and congratulate him.

I’ll let Monte tell the rest of his life after Monongah High (additional info by me in black):

“After graduation I joined the Air Force. Served 6 years, in California.

“I joined the Army for another 22 years.

“After the Army, I worked 15 years with the U.S. Marshal’s Office, still in California. I retired in 2012 because of colon cancer, which so far I have beaten.

“I have been back home to the Worthington area 4 times since retirement: 2012, 2015, 2016 and 2017.

“I visited Roger Shumate, Class of 1970; Collett Melton, Class of 1970; Wanda Fetty, Cindy Chism (daughter of the late Louie “Scoogum” Domico and Mary Ann Bienkoski Domico, Class of 1950) and a few other friends I grew up with.

“I made a special visit to Nick Demus (Class of 1945) and his sister Nellie (Demus Bailey,  Class of 1938). I worked at the Demus store during my senior year at Monongah High.

“I am the last of my immediate family. I lost my Dad in 1995, brother Brit in 2015 and will be losing my stepmom any day now.

JOHN OLESKY  NOTE:
Monte informed me 3/22/17 that his Mom passed away. My condolences to Monte.

“I plan to attend the Monongah High Alumni Reunion in May.

“My stepmom will be laid to rest with my Dad at Barker Ridge Cemetery in Sutton.

“When my wife retires in 2 years we plan to take our 19-foot travel trailer and go from the West Coast to the East Coast and across Canada and into Alaska.

“I hope to just enjoy life in the time that the Lord grants to me.

“As the author says, ‘That is my story.’ Thanks for listening.”

No comments:

Post a Comment