Friday, October 23, 2015



The Clarksburg Exponent-Telegram published an inspirational and amazing article about Jane Pritchard Moore, Class of 1975, and her battles with breast cancer. “Nene,” as family calls her, is a 3-time survivor.

Nene is an LPN at Pediatrics Associates. Her sisters are Jonna Pritchard Barnett, who was in the first graduation class at North Marion in 1980 after going to Monongah High for three years, married to Shinnston High grad Brad Barnett for more than three decades; and Beth Pritchard Brooks, Class of 1978, who lives on Harter Hill in Worthington when she doesn’t join husband Rick Brooks in his conveyor system projects around the country.

Their parents are John Pritchard and Mary Jane McDaniel Pritchard, daughter of the famous Ted McDaniel, Monongah Streetcar Stationmaster.

Mary Jane’s brother, Jim McDaniel, Class of 1960, lives in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. Another brother, Donald McDaniel, Class of 1946, passed away in 1963.
Their sister, JoAnn McDaniel Huff, Class of 1949, lives in Worthington.

Here’s the Clarksburg newspaper’s inspirational story about  Nene’s battles with cancer:
Jane Pritchard Moore continues fight against breast cancer

by Brittany Murray STAFF WRITER Submissions: News@theet.com

WORTHINGTON — When Jane Pritchard Moore felt a lump while showering on Easter morning 2002, she couldn’t have imagined the road ahead.

“As the day wore on, it kept feeling heavier and heavier, and it just didn’t feel right,” Moore said. “I waited about a week, and I thought if it was a cyst it would go away.”

Moore then made an appointment with her doctor, who then sent her for a biopsy and to meet with a surgeon.

“They did the biopsy, and I was waiting to hear the answer, sort of anxious,” Moore said. “There were actually two different locations in my breast that were questionable, and the test came back that both of them were cancerous.”

The two locations turned out to be two different types of cancer: Lobular and ductal.

“There I was by myself hearing that news, and it was a little scary,” Moore said. “I went home, and none of my family was home at the time. I did the little ‘throw a tantrum pity party and cry it out’ kind of thing.”

After an hour, Moore calmed herself down and prepared herself to explain things to her husband, Henry, and daughters, Rachel and Alison, who were 9 and 5 years old at the time.

“I was more worried for them than for me,” she said. “I can get through whatever, but I don’t want to burden others and have them go through pain because of me.”

Moore’s sister, Beth Brooks, still remembers hearing the news when she was in North Carolina with her husband, Rick.

“I had just left like a week before she found out, and I couldn’t be there for her,” Brooks said. “It was just shock and disbelief.”

Following her diagnosis, Moore underwent a mastectomy followed by chemotherapy.

“Of course, I went through the losing-all-my-hair deal,” she said. “I found a wig that looked just like my hair, so when my hair was getting ready to fall out, I called my beautician. I shaved my head, went back to work the next Monday and nobody knew.”

Moore continued working after her diagnosis, as an LPN at Pediatric Associates in Bridgeport.

“She’s just so strong and courageous,” Brooks said. “She’s very stubborn, and she does whatever she wants.”

Moore added: “I was pretty new back at this time,” she said. “I was worried I was going to lose my job, and I didn’t know if I was going to win this battle.”

However, Moore’s faith and supportive family helped her through the battle.

“In all facets of my life, everyone has been just wonderfully supportive,” she said. “I’m very lucky in that. I just focused myself on the battle, and I had to gear up for this battle of my life and not lose my faith during it.”

Moore received tremendous support from her church family at the Worthington Christian Church.

“This is the church that I’ve always gone to,” she said. “I grew up in Worthington, and I came here as an infant, and I still come here today.”

Though Brooks believes Moore’s family and doctors played a significant role, she credits her sister’s faith as the biggest healer.

“Her faith in God is immeasurable,” she said. “She just has tremendous faith in God, and I think that was a big part of getting through it.”

Moore was feeling pretty victorious after going through surgery, though she wanted to be proactive in the fight.

“The year after my mastectomy, I had the other side removed, too, because I kept getting lumps,” she said. “I couldn’t go through the anxiety every month wondering if it was just a normal monthly lump or cancer coming back.”

The cancer did end up returning in 2009 and again in 2011, Moore said.

“I had a place in my mastectomy scar that didn’t feel right,” she said. “I went to my oncologist, and he thought it was just scar tissue.”

Another round of tests determined that both forms of cancer had returned in her mastectomy scar.

“When we did further tests, we found out it had metastasized to my spine, my pelvic bones,” Moore said. “I had a spot in my lung. I had a questionable spot on my liver. I felt like I was out of control at that point.”

Moore then went through another round of chemotherapy.

“I worked all this time because I wasn’t letting it take over my life,” she said. “I’m a very stubborn person and determined, so I decided I was going to do my normal life and it could just wimp out and leave me.”

This time her sister was able to be there.

“I was able to be there for the last two bouts,” Brooks said. “It was unbelievable because we thought it was gone, and we didn’t think we would have to worry about it again.”

The third round of chemotherapy affected Moore more severely, causing her to lose her hair, her fingernails and 40 pounds.

“I couldn’t eat,” she said. “I don’t think I’ve ever been the same since then.”

Because Moore’s cancer is prone to return easily, she continues her chemotherapy regimen.

“I have to go every three weeks and get an infusion in my port of Herceptin every three weeks for the rest of my life, and every month I have to get shots of an anti-cancer drug called Faslode,” she said. “Ever since I’ve been on the combination of those two, I haven’t had any signs of it returning.”

Moore continues to have significant side effects from the chemotherapy.

“I’m just constantly fatigued,” she said. “I have trouble with my back because where the cancer had damaged my spine is like a constant reminder and pain that no kind of medicine can help because it’s in the bone. Even though the cancer’s not there, the damage it did is.”

Now, Moore recommends the women in her life stay up to date with their mammograms.

“I had just had mammogram seven months prior to this, and it hadn’t shown anything,” she said. “I did all the right things, but still you have to just be diligent and know your body.”

However, Brooks admits she isn’t as up to date as recommended.

“I’m probably not as good about it as I should be, but it definitely makes you think about it,” she said.

Moore also remains a part of the breast cancer support group at United Hospital Center.

“I think it helps to be able to talk about things you’ve been through with people who understand,” she said. “It’s kind of hard to talk to people close to you about your concerns because that’s sort of impacting them too. I don’t want to give up my problems and give them to somebody else. If you share them with someone who’s also been there, it really helps.”

Brooks said she is very proud of her sister for winning the fight against cancer and continuing to push every day.

“She’s a warrior. She’s a survivor, and she’s my hero,” she said. “She just has such a positive attitude about everything, and she continues to help everybody around her.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment