Sunday, September 14, 2014

High school reunion came to Harold Kniceley

Harold Dean Kniceley, Class of 1960, isn’t on my lists of people who have attended Monongah High Alumni Reunions since 2005, but he had an enjoyable high school reunion anyway without leaving town.

Harold Dean Kniceley
It was in Queen Anne’s County, Maryland, where the public school system had a Class of 1976 reunion with Harold in the midst of it because he was the former students’ advisor nearly four decades ago. Harold is a fine arts teacher.

Wrote Harold:
I want to thank Henry and Beth and all of the others who planned the '76 reunion. It was evident that a lot of people put in a bunch of hours getting the reunion staged. Thanks also for the warm reception for this old man. When I was your advisor, I enjoyed every minute of it just as I enjoyed the reunion last night. I think last night's events will be remembered for a long time. The food was great the visiting with old friends was great, and my wife and I and my girls thoroughly enjoyed the whole affair.
“Thanks again,
“H D Kniceley”
Harold’s wife is the former Sandra Kay Miller. They live in Centreville, the county seat of Queen Anne’s County.
Harold explains the nearly 40-year-old reunion:
“John, I went to Fairmont State after Monongah, got a teaching job in Queen Anne's County, Maryland. I got my masters in '73 at The Johns Hopkins University. I was class advisor of the class of 1976 at Queen Anne's. It was their 38th year after their graduation, and it was their reunion that everyone has been talking about.”
Queen Anne’s County has 8 elementary schools, 4 middle schools, 2 high schools and 1 anchor points academy for alternative education.
Marsha Jean Kniceley, Class of 1963, who lives in Pinehurst, North Carolina, attended the Monongah High Alumni Reunion in 2010. She is Harold's second cousin.
There’s a lot of Atlantic Ocean washing up on Queen Anne’s County, particularly on Kent Island, which is where Baseball Hall of Famer Jimmie Foxx grew up. There is a statue and small park in Sudlersville, where Foxx grew up. Foxx was the second player in baseball history to hit 500 home runs. Babe Ruth, who grew up in nearby Baltimore, was the first.
I think Harold is related to Olive Jane Kniceley Hulderman of Idamay who passed away March 25.
 Olive Jane’s children are daughter Sylvia Ann (Hulderman) Edwards, Class of 1967, married to Ed, who live in Idamay (Sylvia previously was married to Don Fitzwater, Class of 1966);  and sons Raymond "Bugs" Hulderman, Class of 1966, married to Lorraine Snider Hulderman, Class of 1966, who live on Swisher Hill; Thomas Hulderman, Class of 1969, who lived with Jane Hulderman; and Don Pitman, Class of 1962, who lives in White Hall with his wife, also named Jane.
Tom Hulderman was a Pop Warner player with the Idamay Black Diamonds for the legendary Nick Saban, Sr., father of Alabama football coach Nick “Brother” Saban.
If you have memories of the Kniceley or Hulderman families, email me at jo4wvu@neo.rr.com and I’ll add the information to this Monongah High Alumni blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment