Friday, July 9, 2021

MILITARY VETERAN RON SANDERS PASSES AWAY



Ron Sanders passed away after a long battle with his health issues and frequent visits to medical facilities.

Monongah Councilwoman Susan Staron Sanders, Class of 1971, posted:

With a broken heart me and Tommy lost our hero last night at Ruby Memorial Hospital, arrangements will follow.

Susan is known as The Angel of Thomas Street for all the good things she has done for Monongah, such as the tremendous Christmas street lights campaign that lights up Monongah during Yuletide so that astronauts in space can see the town. Including the pearl inside a shell on Church Street at my childhood home that represents Christ rising from His tomb. One of more than 60 Christmas street lights in Monongah, thanks to Susan and her committee.

And her constant care for Ron puts Florence Nightingale to shame by comparison.

Ironically, Ron and Robin Flynn were in adjoining rooms before passing away. Susan was with Ron and Kim with her sister Robin. So much sadness in such a close space! It is heart-breaking.

Kitty Morrison, another angel in Monongah, explains the heart-wrenching situation better than I ever could:

I am busy trying to help my friend Kim with death of her sister who had Downs. I was with her Monday when she was taken off ventilator.

Ron was in the next room. I saw him and he took my hand. Susan said then he wanted to go, no more procedures etc.

Kim and Susan hugged each other and told each other how sorry they were.

Kim and Robin always bought raffle tickets on baskets for the Xmas light committee and won a couple times.

Susan and Kim always heard about each other but never met. It was a sad day.

I am helping Kim with funeral arrangements. Kim is not from here.

The tsunami of support for Susan and Tommy – more than TWO HUNDRED Facebook posts the last time I checked -- is amazing but not surprising, given everything that Susan has done for the town of my birth.

The love affair between Susan and Ron, married for 32 years, rivaled that of Romeo and Juliet and Marc Anthony and Cleopatra.

The first time they set eyes on each other was Friday, November 2, 1985 at a night club on Morgantown Avenue in Fairmont.

 

Ron Sanders saw a stranger across a crowded room. It was Susan Staron.

 

And somehow he knew, he knew even then, that he would meet her again.

 

Ron flew to her side, but it took more than three years before Susan said “Yes!” They clung to each other ever since.

 

Susan recalls:

 

“He asked me four times to dance that night I met him and I turned him down. Till finally he said you will dance one song with me and that dance never ended.


"It was my second marriage. I was scared to death. He asked me many times. So I accepted.

 

“My Dad (Stanley Staron) always wanted me married in the Catholic Church and I Ioved my Dad so much. Ron knew how important that was to me. That's why we renewed our vows in the Catholic Church on August 17, 2003.”

That has been followed over the decades by teddy bear after teddy bear from Ron to Susan.

 

Susan retired in 2016 after 13 years as administrative assistant at Personnel.

 

Her son, Tommy Sanders, is a WVU computer engineering graduate.

 

 

Ron is a Vietnam veteran. Susan’s brother, the late Bob Staron, Class of 1967, served in Vietnam.

Susan’s parents were Stanley Staron and Alice Staron. Her siblings are Jack Staron, Bill Staron, Tom Staron and Bob Staron.

Although Susan is busy handling the details of Ron’s funeral arrangements she plans to attend the July 17 J&J&Lions Get-Together in the Monongah Town Hall. Despite her frequent trips to medical facilities with Ron, Susan and Shelly Yankie and Kitty Morrison have been a great help to me in planning the 6-9 p.m. dinner and evening of conversation, music and dancing.

We’ll be sure to raise a toast to Ron on July 17. Well done, Ron, and thank you for your service to your country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment