Monday, July 12, 2021

BUCKEYE IS A NUT. JOHN IS A NUT ABOUT HIS MONONGAH BIRTHPLACE.

 


Take me home, country roads!

Finally !!!

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain mama
Take me home, country roads

All my memories gather 'round her
Miner's lady, stranger to blue water
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky
Misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eye

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain mama
Take me home, country roads

I hear her voice in the mornin' hour, she calls me
The radio reminds me of my home far away
Drivin' down the road, I get a feelin'
That I should've been home yesterday, yesterday

 

Well, I am packing stuff into my maroon 2012 Honda Accord with the JO 4 WVU Ohio license plate on it for Friday’s much-anticipated journey to Almost Heaven.

I’ll spend Friday with my sister, Jackie Olesky Straight, Class of 1955, who lives in Rivesville, and visiting dear friends in Monongah, including Ann DeMary Eates, my son John Larry’s godmother, who lives on Bridge Street.

And the grave of Mary Turkovich, who taught me math, algebra, geometry, the value of numbers in making your life a financial success and, most of all, discipline, which I was seriously lacking during my Monongah High days. As usual I will place a rose on Miss Turkovich’s grave and say two words: “Thank you.”

Miss Turkovich and Sister Agnes, who taught me at Sts. Peter and Paul School in Monongah to love words and grammar, which led to my 43-year newspaper career that financed my travels to 56 countries, 44 states and more than 30 winters in Florida for up to 4 months.

I owe those 2 women a debt that I can never repay. But I try, by helping others less fortunate than me when I can, thanks to a third woman who affected me forever, my mother. She showed Jackie and me, by example, not words, to care for those less fortunate than us. Mom never turned away anyone who showed up at our Church Street door hungry. She either cooked a meal for them and gave them a bagful of sandwiches.

Jackie took Mom’s role model to even greater heights, spearheading church food, clothing and toy drives for decade after decade and earning the North Central West Virginia Catholic Charities Salt & Light Award for her efforts.

I tip my cap to Mary Turkovich, Sister Agnes and Lena Futten Olesky, who boarded a boat in Genoa, Italy in 1920 at the age of 9 with her mother, sister and brother. They landed on Ellis Island (I’ve been there, and walked her steps to freedom with tears in my eyes), took a train from New York City to Clarksburg, then a bus to Swisher Hill, where my Granddaddy Futten awaited them. He left Italy to avoid being slaughtered in World War I, later sent tickets and the Swisher Hill address for his family to join him.

It’s a story told many times by descendants of many families who did the same thing. We were not unique. America is, as the Melting Pot of the World. Every pigmentation on earth is in America from every continent in the world. That makes it truly America the Beautiful.

I hope I see you during my weekend in wonderland.

Check out my itinerary:

Monongah itinerary for Friday July 16

Before noon

Pick up 36 roses (6 bunches of 3 red and 3 yellow each) at

Kime Floral

600 Fairmont Ave, Fairmont, WV 26554

John Larry & I will pick them up on our way to Jackie’s house.

 

Noon

Lunch at home of

Jackie Olesky Straight

2979 Paw Paw Creek Road

Rivesville, WV 26588

 

1 p.m.

Visit Fairmont cemetery of Mom, Dad, Dave, Curt David

 

2 p.m.

Visit Mount Calvary Cemetery in Monongah.

& Mary Turkovich’s grave

 

2:30 p.m.

Amelia Shenasky Zentz

1 Shenasky Lane

Monongah, WV 26554

 

3:30 p.m. (maybe little earlier, depending on Amelia situation)

Go to Town Hall and son John Larry and I will help Susan Sanders finish decorations, moving tables, etc.

Susan Sanders

713 Thomas Street

Monongah, WV 26554

 

4:30 p.m.

Ann DeMary Eates

105 Bridge Street

Monongah, WV 26554

 

5 p.m.

Ramona Fullen Michalski      

39 Bridge Street Extension

Monongah, WV 26554

 

6:30 p.m.

Dinner at Say-Boy Restaurant in Fairmont with son John Larry, sister Jackie, her daughter Renee and me.

 

My lodging will be at Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott in Fairmont for Friday and Saturday nights.

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott

 

27 Southland Dr, Fairmont, WV 26554

 

 

Saturday, July 17

May Brothers

142 Terrace Manor

Pick up yellow and blue West Virginia stone in the morning, take it to Monongah Town Hall along with the Lions print that I ordered online and the 15 x 20 foot quilt-like WVU cloth.

6 p.m.

Dinner in the Monongah Town Hall with family, cousins, friends, Monongah High graduates and Monongah residents who did not graduate from Monongah High. Raffle drawing for items that Alabama coach Nick Saban sent to me at about 7 p.m. Music till 9 p.m.


No comments:

Post a Comment