Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Manchin uses Heimlich on choking Senator McCaskill

I don’t know how I missed it because it happened June 28, but Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) used the Heimlich maneuver on Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) at a luncheon with Senate Democrats after she started choking, resulting in McCaskill getting a cracked rib.

"She started choking. People cough, you think, well. And then started getting real red. 'I can't breathe, I can't breathe,' " Manchin said.

"I was big enough and tall enough to get some leverage on her and pick her up off her feet. I kept jerking and jerking and jerking until she said, 'You're hurting me now.' "

He continued: "I knew she could breathe then. I just go underneath her breastplate and give it all I had. ... We were all just so thankful. It was all so scary. You can't imagine."

McCaskill continued her reelection campaign despite the rib injury.

She is the first female Senator voted into office from Missouri. Jean Carnahan was appointed after her husband passed away and served only one year.

Senator McCaskill’s mother, Betty Anne Ward Caskill, was the first woman elected to the Columbia, Missouri City Council.

No comments:

Post a Comment