Wednesday, October 13, 2021

CATCHING UP WITH . . . FRANCES WIMER MILLER

 


Frances Wimer Miller, Class of 1951, is in love . . . with Tulsa, where she has been living for 38 years with husband Ken Miller.

 

“I love it here,” she told me via phone. Her voice is so full of energy and life. And the photo she sent at my request proves it, too.

 

Fran and Ken have been married for 43 years. Fran brought 2 children and Ken brought 3 children to the family.

 

Fran says she still works 3 days a week for the same company that she’s been at for 43 years “and for the same pay as when I worked full-time.” Non-retirement with benefits. Her boss just won’t let her leave permanently.

 

Fran has 13 grandchildren and – ready for this? – will have her 22nd great-grandchild in December! The oldest great-grandchild is in college.

 

I’m a year older than Fran and I have only 5 great-grandchildren.

 

Husband Ken has a stroke 5 years ago that has slowed him down.

 

If you want to catch up with Fran and your Monongah High days with her the phone number is (918) 808-7803. Her email is Millerfran777@yahoo.com

 

When I talked to Bob Cottrill, Class of 1949, he had inquired about Fran. I relayed the message to Fran along with Bob’s phone number, so she called him and said they have a “wonderful” conversation. When I got back to Bob after the Bob-Fran phone call, he also described it as a “wonderful” conversation that covered everything from 7th grade at Thoburn School, where teacher Filipi Morgan “carried a big whip,” as Bob noted, to Monongah High School.

 

Fran recalled to Bob how she sat between Duane Harbert, Class of 1951, and Neil Satterfield, Class of 1952 in the legendary Monongah High band that won state honors year after year under band instructor Harland Hartman. And that Fran, Duane and Neil “had a really good time.” Fran played baritone.

 

Bob said that Fran was “very close to Duane.” Close enough to be his prom date.

Here’s how Duane remembers it:

 

I do have fond memories of the six short years that we were in school together -- 7th and 8th grade at Thoburn and 4 years at Monongah High. 

 

In grade school I remember her as a friendly, positive and highly intelligent person in addition to being very attractive. In high school we were in band together, in both the Junior and Senior plays and she was my date at the Senior Prom. 

 

In the band, Francis, Neil Satterfield and I had a special bond, we called ourselves the Three Musketeers. We sat close to each other during practices and performances and I got the feeling that we kind of agitated Mr. Hartman with all the chattering when we should have been paying attention.

 

I don't remember a whole lot about the plays but I do remember that we had some good times.  After graduation from high school we kind of lost contact with each other, each going our own way. 

 

We enjoyed reliving old times at the 25th and 50th (or around that time) reunions.  Although we have essentially lost contact I still consider her as a very significant part of my early life and still a friend.

 

Neil, who passed away in 2015, was a brother of Steven “Bucky” Satterfield, in the facetiously name Gang That Terrorized Marion County that include the late Lawrence “Sonny” Godby, Robert “Satch” Kasper, who lives in South Lyon, Michigan, the late Joe Manzo, Tony Eates, who lives in Fairmont with wife Lucy McCann, Donald “Jake” Halpenny, also living in Fairmont, the late Anthony “Plumber” DeMary, Duane Harbert, of Marlboro, New Jersey, and Ronnie “Cooley” Delovich. Since there were 12 of us I guess you could call us The Dirty Dozen, too, although we weren’t mean, just mischievious and a bit stupid as teenagers usually are.

 

During her phone call to Bob, Fran told Bob “my father really admired you” because Bob worked in the coal mines while going to Monongah High.

 

Glad I could re-connect two Lions.

 

As with most of us, COVID has blocked travel for Fran and Ken.

 

Fran’s sister, Phyllis Wimer Lamb, passed away in 1997. Phyllis had four children, all daughters.

 

Fran says “I have many precious memories of my years at Monongah High.” Don’t we all.

 

Fran’s next birthday will be December 22. I’m sure she’ll embrace it as enthusiastically as she is embracing life.


No comments:

Post a Comment