Friday, December 23, 2022

CATCHING UP WITH LEATRICE YOKAY GREASER

 


Leatrice Yokay Greaser, Class of 1950, and I exchanged “Merry Christmas” in a phone call today.

Leatrice, who grew up in Carolina, lives in Fairmont. I visit her almost every time I come to Marion County to visit my sister, Jackie Olesky Straight, Class of 1955, who lives in Rivesville, or friends and former classmates in Monongah and Fairmont, or the annual Monongah High Alumni Banquet.

Leatrice has been in the hospital several times in recent months and is confined to her home. Physical therapists and nurses visit her. She’s house-bound except for her trips to the hospital.

“Nobody” in her family still is alive, Leatrice tells me. Her brother, John Yokay, Jr., passed away in January 2022. Their sister, Patty Yokay Maddox, Class of 1948, passed away in 2020.

“Carolina and Monongah High are my best memories,” Leatrice said. I second that emotion. In my case that would be Monongah High and Monongah, where I was born in my grandparents’ house on Walnut Street in 1932 amid the Great Depression, then moved to a Thomas Street rental, then to nearest home to that on Church Street that my parents purchased. It’s the one next to the pearl in a seashell Christmas street light that I purchased.

Leatrice’s 90th birthday was November 23. Like me, she was born in 1932, 18 days after I was born.

Leatrice and Patty Urban Utz, also Class of 1950, phone each other regularly. Patty is taking care of her ailing husband, John Utz, a West Point graduate who retired as a Lt. Colonel. John flew helicopters in combat for two tours in Vietnam before he met Patty after his 1950 high school graduation.

Leatrice took care of her husband, Bob Greaser, till he passed away. And Bob’s mother, too.

I still call Leatrice “The Kathryn Grayson of Monongah High” because Lea’s singing voice at MHS reminded me of the singing actress in movies. Leatrice had her own show on Fairmont radio WMMS where she sang with Mary Jo Forte as her pianist.

If you want to wish Leatrice a Merry Christmas, too, here phone number is (304) 363-4858.


No comments:

Post a Comment