Wednesday, December 28, 2022

BIG FRANK MICHALSKI'S FAMILY TOGETHER FOR CHRISTMAS FOR FIRST TIME SINCE 2018

 


The family of the late Big Frank Michalski, who started with Monongah High Class of 1949, and his wife, Ramona Fullen Michalski, Class of 1949, still living in her Front Street Extension home on the hill just outside the Monongah town limits, had its first Christmas get-together since 2018.

Big Frank – who had an awesome Lions football career alongside fellow fearsome Bob Cottrill, Class of 1951, who lives in Melbourne, Florida these days, was smiling down on them, I’m sure. Big Frank was my playground protector at Sts. Peter and Paul School who warned those who made fun of me because of my cleft palate speech distortion to never do it again. Standing in Big Frank’s giant shadow, they never did for the rest of my time with the magnificent nuns at the school, particularly Sister Agnes who instilled in me a love for words and storytelling that led to my 42-year newspaper career in West Virginia (Morgantown, Williamson and Charleston), Florida (St. Petersburg) and Ohio (Dayton and, for the final 26 years, at the Akron Beacon Journal where it was such a joy to “work” there that I ran to work every day.

Marcia Michalski Westfall, Class of 1974, told me:

There were 38 of us all together and the children had special Christmas games to play and the adults did a gift exchange game. We missed 22 family members and of course all our deceased family.

“It had been since 2018 that we’ve gathered on Christmas Eve. So much food and laughter with those that could make it.

“It’s great to celebrate the holidays together again.”

Indeed, Marcia. My annual family Christmas gathering included my 3 children, their spouses, 4 of their children (4 of my 6 great-grandchildren). And FaceTime phone visit with my grandson in Wisconsin, his wife and 2 children so everyone alive was there in one way or another. And I’m sure My Mona Lisa, who passed away in 2004 after us being together for a half-century, was smiling down on us, too.

Let Marcia continue her story:

This was at mom’s house on Christmas Eve. Mom (Ramona, my “Monongah bureau chief” for this blog for years because I phoned her so often for guidance when I’m working on an article about Lions) was there in her chair enjoying her company.

“Those in attendance included deceased sister Mary’s daughter Tracy and husband Josh and their son, Liam.

“(Brother) Mike (Class of 1969) and his wife, Jan, and their son, Tony, and wife, Holly and their son, Anthony.

“Marcia and husband Dave (Westfall, Class of 1972) and their children Brandie and husband, Kiley and their children Caleb and girlfriend, Grace, Kiley Marie and boyfriend Julian, and Aiden.

“Daughter Amy and husband Chad and their children Ally and boyfriend Sam, Brevon and Ethan.

“Son Davey and wife Nichelle and their children Lucy and Forrest.

“Deceased sister Carol’s husband Bob (Drake). (Carol was Class of 1968.)

“Monie (Ramona’s daughter Ramona Marie Michalski), Jay and wife Debby and their grandson Caiden and son Brad and wife Britney and their children Bailey and Bryce .”

Big Frank and Ramona's daughter, Mary Gapen, was a legendary teacher in Barrackville.

And Big Frank smiling down on all of them. And protecting me, as usual.


No comments:

Post a Comment