Monday, July 20, 2020


This article began as a tribute obituary for Mary Lou DeNoon Goff of Clarksburg but, thanks to the personal experiences of Juanita Beltran Nickerson, Class of 1978, expanded into an incredible story of two people, the late Rev. Howard Otto DeNoon and Moe Madeline DeNoon, who adopted 6 children, including Mary Lou, had 31 foster children and welcomed adults into their home and lives.

Some of you probably caught snippets of this story over the years because Madeline DeNoon was chosen Fairmont Times-West Virginian Mother of Year TWICE.

Mary Lou passed away Saturday, July 18, six days after her 57th birthday.

Mary Lou is survived by her son, Josh Goff of Morgantown.

 
All the foster children except Mary Lou attended Monongah schools.


Howard and Madeline lived in Fairmont. The Rev. DeNoon donated land and built  Sunrise Chapel on his property in 1976-77. The first service was held on Fathers Day in June 1977. The church became operational in 1981. The Rev. Ralph Carpenter later helped Reverend DeNoon with the church. The Rev. John Snyder is the current pastor.


I’ll let Juanita Beltran Nickerson, Class of 1978, who was one of the foster children, tell you this incredible story of the DeNoons and the children:


“Mary Lou was the youngest of 6 adopted children. I was one of 31 foster children that Howard and Madeline DeNoon fostered.

“I never had thought that there would be a home for me because of being in foster care and I already had been placed in 9 homes by the age of six but this home was different.

“I remember crying when I left the home I had been placed in to come to this home. It wasn’t because I didn’t want to leave; it was because I was afraid of another move.

“When I arrived my mom was mixing up a 25-pound sack of flour and, man, was that exciting to see! My siblings all greeted me and my brother and immediately fear left. I remember feeling from the get-go that I was important and wanted. Just a feeling, I guess.

“I was to be there for 10 days and ended up there until I married at 20. I have so many memories of my life there and of my siblings. We were just a big family and we were happy. That I believe to be the result of two people who loved children and were determined to make a difference in our somewhat unhappy and unsteady beginnings.

“They adopted Danny Howard DeNoon (Class of 1964), (1989 North Marion High graduate)  Larry DeNoon and Sharon DeNoon (Cunningham), Nancy Jarvis DeNoon, Chester DeNoon and Mary Lou DeNoon. There were Hesses, Rands, Beltrans, Crites, others who were there for just shorter periods of time.

“We had a couple of squatters that they let hang out, my Uncle Jack who lived in a little one-room building but ate meals and hung out with us.

“My mom would take care of a lady named Ms. Stout from in-town Monongah for several years until she needed more care so we moved her in with us and had a blast with her. She may have been Belfast but we loved her anyway.

“I have so many stories and memories that I certainly could write a book. We all grew up together and attended the Monongah schools and eventually graduated from them except for Mary Lou, who graduated from North Marion.

“The older boys were paperboys and delivered papers in Monongah.

“My father was a minister who evangelized for years before founding and building what is now Sunrise Chapel just outside of Monongah as you go toward what used to be the drag races down over the hill before the sharp bend and worked Sharon Steel Coke Works from which he eventually retired.

“My mom worked at Westinghouse then later became full-time housewife and mother to many. She and Howard were wonderful people. I think they were the best parents in the world. I am partial of course.

“We had a full rich life and was shown love and acceptance. Sometimes we would squabble and fuss but mom had a way of keeping us busy with activities to keep us out of trouble. My mom even made Mother of the Year in the Fairmont Times-West Virginian and again later in years.

“Some of us came in pairs, threes, fours and even sixes. It didn’t matter. My mother’s motto was ‘I love kids.’

“I asked her one time when she was older and her mind was starting to fade, ‘Mom, what would you do if you had a million dollars and her reply melted my heart. ‘If I had a million dollars I’d probably get me a bunch of kids that need a home and love them.’ Simple as that.

“Her and my dad were jewels and I remember going to church as a young girl with the family and my dad would have me sing. Oh how I loved to sing! He had his favorites and I was all too happy to do them for him. LOL.

“As I got older I would help him when he did weddings and we kind of had our own little-buddy moments. I always wanted and did believe that I was his favorite until I got older and realized that he loved me equal to my siblings.

“They have since passed on but they will forever be imprinted into my heart and my mind. I hope to be half as good to my children as they were. Sorry for such a lengthy story but I am super proud and happy to share good things when given the chance.”

Howard DeNoon was born in 1918 in West Virginia to New Martinsville native Chester Otto DeNoon and Pennsylvania native Mary Esther Sievertson DeNoon.

Howard had 5 siblings, including Norman Eileen DeNoon Schmidt and Paul Jacob  DeNoon

As for Mary Lou, West Liberty University graduate Zick Mauzy, from Fairmont, posted:

“I remember her infectious smile as a child . . . and those dimples!”

Mary Lou’s obituary:

Mary Lou DeNoon Goff, 57, of Clarksburg, WV passed away on Saturday, July 18, 2020 at the United Hospital Center.


She was born on July 12, 1963 in Fairmont, WV, a daughter of the late Reverend Howard and Madeline DeNoon.


Mary is survived by her son, Josh Goff of Morgantown; fiancé, Tim Ware of Clarksburg; foster siblings, Jimmy and Beverly Hess, Danny and Pam DeNoon, Nancy and Larry Jarvis, Juanita and Charles Nickerson, Mark and Loretta Hess, Harold Hess, Sharon Nottingham, Bonnie and Richard Spekeyscrki, and Larry and Nancy DeNoon; several nieces and nephews; and her precious doggy Izzy. A special thank you to her sister Pinki Thompson and husband Raymond.
 
Mary attended North Marion High School. She had several jobs as a cook and in housekeeping. She loved attending church and singing hymns to which she knew most all traditional Christian lyrics. She was a kind soul and a spirit of light. She gave love and was loved in return by all who knew her. She will be sadly missed, especially by her fiancé Tim.


Family and close friends may call at the Amos Carvelli Funeral Home, 201 Edison Street, Nutter Fort, on Thursday, July 23, 2020 from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. There will be a public graveside service at Rest Haven Memorial Gardens, Fairmont, WV, at 1:00 pm with Reverend Brian Plum presiding.

1 comment:

  1. Such a wonderful story of love. This story of the DeNoons needs to be published in a WV history book. So the wonder and love of the people in WV and Monongah forever lives on. So sorry gor the loss of this lady.

    ReplyDelete