Thursday, October 12, 2017

Father Briggs sequel

My sister, Jacqueline “Jackie” Olesky Straight, Class of 1955, who lives in Rivesville, emailed me a tribute to the late Father Everett Briggs, perhaps the most amazing priest in Monongah history, that I have to share with you:

Father Briggs, design for Heroines statue
John, I read your article about Fr. Briggs and have a few comments to make. 

Let me start at the beginning.  Fr. Briggs was our Monongah priest in the 50's so I knew him then.  He was the priest that married Dave and me in 1958.  He baptized Renee (our firstborn) a year later and Belinda in 1960. 

We moved to Rivesville but I still kept in touch with Father.  I sent him cards (with a little green stuff) for his birthday, Christmas and Easter.  He always called me to say thanks and we would talk for an hour. 

I know most of the stories in your article because of our conversations.  He was placed at our Rivesville church in early 70's and I was back with my old friend.  Our Dad was living with us then so that Father would visit Dad often.  Again long talks took place. 

When Fr. Briggs started living at St. Barbara's, we continued the cards and phone calls.  I've never met a more learned person (priest or professional) than Fr. Briggs!  He sent me a copy of his book, "Far Flowing River" before it was released to the public.

Of course we had a long conversation about everything.  I sent Father a Christmas card with a friendly note.   On his deathbed he called me to thank me.  We talked for about 5 minutes because he could barely whisper and was having trouble with his breathing.  A few days later he passed away. 

Father Briggs, God's faithful servant, RIP!

     Love, Jackie     

To read the original Father Briggs article about the man who survived being a prisoner of the Japanese in World War II and then embraced Monongah’s coal miners when he became the Holy Spirit priest, click on http://jo4wvu.blogspot.com/search?q=amazing+story+about+Father+Everett+Briggs              

If you have special memories about Father Briggs, email me at jo4wvu@neo.rr.com Be sure to be as expansive about your recollections of Father Briggs as Jackie was. The more information, the better the response from those who read it.                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment