Sunday, February 28, 2021

REPORT ON MONONGAH HIGH ALUMNI DURING THE PANDEMIC

 









I asked Monongah High Alumni to tell me about their COVID experiences. I am pleased with the prompt responses.

Lions helping Lions has been my experience since my 1950 graduation from that school a block from my Church Street home.

Sadly, Vivian Pierce Lambert, Class of 1978, passed away from COVID damage. Inspiringly, even though her husband, Paul Eugene “Bucko” Lambert, Class of 1973, was hospitalized in critical condition with COVID, he was able to move to rehab and, I’m told, “is fine” at home with his recovery.

Paul Stanley Deahl, Class of 1979, also is recovering from his COVID incident early in 2020 even though he has end-stage Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), which put him in double jeopardy.

Paul’s been a battler much of his life. He had spinal fusion surgery in 2018. He fractured back vertebraes playing football for Monongah High. Quick thinking by teammate Ron Manzo, who immobilized Paul’s neck, probably prevented even worse damage.

 

He also survived being struck by an automobile.

 

Paul was fullback on the 1968 Monongah High state championship football team with quarterback Nick “Brother” Saban, Alabama’s famous football coach. He is married to Billie Deahl.

Debbie Bearden Hines, Class of 1973, contracted the coronavirus in January. She says she’s “doing well” now after sleeping for 2 weeks when COVID hit her.

 

 

16 other Lions responded to me that they have gotten their vaccine shots.

 

 

 

 

 

 

IN MEMORIAM

Vivian Pierce Lambert, Class of 1978

Vivian Lambert died from it on January 10, 2021.

 

RECOVERING

 

Paul Eugene “Bucko” Lambert, Class of 1973

Vivian Lambert’s husband was hospitalized in critical condition but Melinda Herron informs me that “He is home and doing fine” after a stint in rehab.

Paul Stanley Deahl, Class of 1969

Recovering from COVID-19.

 

Debbie Bearden Hines, Class of 1973

 

I had coronavirus January 5. Had flu systems for 24 hours and slept a lot the first 2 weeks but doing well.

 

 

GOT VACCINE

Tony Orsini, Class of 1946

 

Tony Orsini, Moderna vaccine, 2nd shot made his arm a little sore. 

 

Tom Dean, Class of 1949

I received the 1st Moderna shot on Feb 9th. No side effects. Scheduled for 2nd shot on March  9th.

 

Ramona Fullen Michalski, Class of 1949

Ramona Fullen Michalski, Class of 1949, got her first shot and will get her second shot any day now.

 

John Olesky, Class of 1950

Got 2 Pfizer shots by rolling down car window to get injections into his arm. Didn’t feel the needle. No soreness either time. Just bruise size of quarter on arm for week or two.

 

 

Dietta Harden Goush, Class of 1959

 

My arm was a little sore but no more than my flu shot. Second shot 2/25/21and not sore at all yet. Dietta lives on Cottage Avenue with husband Paul Goush, Class of 1954.

 

Jim McDaniel, Class of 1960

I got the second shot at Del Tech in Dover, Delaware. No lines, was out of there in 20 minutes. My arm is sore from this one. First one no reaction at all. Glad it is over.

 

Cheryl Boydoh Fordyce, Class of 1963

Cheryl Fordyce first shot 2/25/21

Two family members have had COVID. Both are fine. Two of my daughters have had the vaccine with no side effects.

 

Lillie Boydoh Fast was Class of 1928. Louise McNece Boydoh is Class of 1933. Other Boydohs that I’m aware of is Robert Boydoh, Class of 1956, who lives in Hebron, Ohio.

 

Jim McDaniel, Class of 1960, remembers Bob and Cheryl Boydoh during his Monongah High Days.

 

Jim Gandy, Class of 1964

Linda Lopez Gandy, Class of 1965

 

Linda and I got our second Moderna shots 2/25/21. I had no side effects but Linda was feeling tough 2/26/21.

 

Linda added: John, I was sick, felt terrible,  stayed in bed all day.

 

Jim and Linda, on the Monongah High Alumni Association board, moved to Florida last year.

Joyce Winston, Class of 1966

I have received both of the Moderna vaccine shots without complications! Joyce lives in Cornelia, Georgia, which is 77 miles north of Atlanta. She once was a receptionist at WVU where she studied accounting and data processing.   

Jerome “Red” Hines, Class of 1968

 

Red (Jerome) got his first vaccination...scheduled for his 2nd by now.

 

Saundra Joyce Viney Ross, Class of 1968

Had my 2nd Covid shot yesterday (2/26/21). Arm a little sore but no side effects! 

Married to Dan Ross, Fairmont West grad. They live in Columbia, South Carolina. 

Aaron Justice, Class of 1972

 

First shot.  Second one March 12. Arm sore. Aaron lives on Walnut Street, where I was born in my grandparents’ second floor bedroom in 1932.

 

Terri Orsini Saye, Class of 1972

 

Tony Orsini’s daughter. Pfizer vaccine, no reaction to 1st, 2nd shot on Feb 27

 

 

Charles Sailor, Class of 1975

 

Received my first Moderna Injection on February 13. Chuck lives in Lumberport with wife Dinah Sailor.

 

Brenda L. White VanGilder, Class of 1979

I have had my first and second shots and am doing fine.

Phyllis Parrish of Columbus

 

Widow of Earl “Buck” Parrish, Class of 1955. I have received both shots. My arm was a little sore but by morning it was OK. Can't wait to start hugging and given kisses to my family Thank You, God

 

Buck died in an auto accident in 2009.

So, if you want included in this Lions vs. COVID article, email John Olesky at jo4wvu@neo.rr.com or post on the John Olesky Facebook page or call me at (330) 388-4466.

I’ll be glad to let other Lions know how you are doing during this pandemic that has lasted almost 1½ years.

Stay well!


No comments:

Post a Comment