Monday, October 8, 2018


John Veasey, with the Fairmont Times for nearly six decades, is moving to Sun City, South Carolina with his wife, Rita.

Del Webb began Sun City Hilton Head in 1995. It is the largest active adult community in South Carolina. There are more than 8,000 homes and 54 holes of golf. You need to be 50 or older to live there.

John once was the Times’ Editor, the captain who guided the newsroom, and in later years was a popular columnist.

I fed John many items about Monongah and Monongah High people over the years, which he used in his column. As John put it, “Olesky could be called Monongah School’s official secretary as he keeps the Times West Virginian alert to every death, marriage and other thing going on in his hometown.”

He also wrote a laudatory article about me, headlined “Olesky leads an interesting life.”  John recalled how I originated the West Virginia Baseball All-State Team selections in 1955, while sports editor of the Williamson Daily News. And how my favorite country among the 56 that I have visited is Thailand where I got to pet an uncaged, unfettered tiger. Not many people have THAT thrill, huh?

John also wrote about the time in The Villages, Florida, where Paula and I spend our winters for 3 to 4 months, when I sat down at a table at the West Virginia Club meeting and the woman across the table, it turned out, was the granddaughter of the woman who dated my father after my mother died.
That was Ann Pavlick’s granddaughter and my father was John W. Olesky, Sr. -- 864 miles from Monongah and we met for the first time.

Sometimes, life can be amazing. And John Veasey in his column was fantastic at telling us about the amazing things that happened to Marion Countians.

When I was #2 man on the Dayton (Ohio) Daily News sports department in the 1960s I tried to hire John away from the Fairmont Times with a fat pay raise. He appreciated the offer, but turned me down because the Times was where he wanted to spend the rest of his career.

Bon voyage, John, from another John.

Maybe we’ll cross paths again since Sun City is only 280 miles from The Villages, where you need to be 55 or older to buy a home. 125,000 senior citizens live in The Villages, often described as “Disneyland for adults.”

No comments:

Post a Comment