Sunday, September 23, 2018




Jim Dean, Class of 1945, passed away Sunday, September 2.

His parents were the late Thomas E. Dean and Virginia Harden Dean, who once lived in Monongah.

Jim’s siblings are Tom Dean, Jr., Class of 1949, of Goldsboro, North Carolina; the late Robert “Chub” Dean, Class of 1954, who lived in Laurelville, Ohio with wife the late Shirley Salisbury Dean, Class of 1957; and the late Charles Dean, who once lived in Monongah.

Chub Dean was born September 2, and Jim died on September 2.

Tom Dean, who sat at my table for the 2018 Monongah High Alumni Reunion in Fairmont, provides more details:

Hi, John!


“My brother Jim passed away on September 2nd of this year. Sorry I don't have more info, but no obituary was posted.


“Jim was born on May 25, 1928. He graduated from MHS in 1945. He served briefly in the Coast Guard, and then in the Army until 1950.

“He was married to his wife, Ella, until her demise in 2016. Jimmy was diagnosed with prostate cancer and was under medication for this disease. He was being treated at a VA hospital, but stopped his treatment after Ella's death. The cancer returned, spread to his lymph nodes and bones. His cause of death was listed as a Massive Heart Attack!

 “My daughter (Pam) and I did visit him in June.  She was kind enough to drive all the way to Hammond, LA and back to Goldsboro, NC. I did mention to her that I could share in the driving, but she said she was fine (don’t think she trusted me behind the wheel of her BMW).

“Jim was in good spirits; always cracked a joke with a smile. He spoke often of his Army days in Panama. Pam says that is one man who should have spent a career in the military.

“Jim leaves behind two children: Virginia and Bobbie -- and Lord knows how many grandchildren. You know how it goes -- they go out, multiply, then return home.

“Looks like I am now the only Dean left from my generation.

“Roy Foster graduated from MHS the same year as Jimmy. Roy is our 1st cousin and is very kind and generous when I visit Monongah.

“Jimmy called me two days before his death. Premonition? I could only guess. We always ended our calls by professing our love for one another!

“Sending my Best,

“Tom”

Roy Foster, son of Roy Foster and Ann Dean Foster, is the brother of Ida Foster Shaver, another Monongah High grad. Roy married Farmington High grad Doris Headley, who passed away in 2002.

Tom is the widow of Rosemarie Dean, a 1950 Uniontown (Pennsylvania) High grad.

No comments:

Post a Comment