Monday, September 24, 2018



Ah, the wonders of the social media.

Ellen Ruth Martin, Class of 1956, and Virginia Littleton Curtis, Class of 1957, who grew up on Harter Hill in Worthington, connected with each for the first time in more than a half-century via Facebook.

Ellen, the name she goes by now, inquired about the house behind Monongah High School where Mary Weis conducted her home economics classes. She wondered what happened to the building.

Helen Moore, Class of 1975, replied that Holy Spirit Church razed the house for an addition to the church in about 1979.

Then Virginia responded with “Ellen, is your middle name Ruth? I think I used to know you when we were kids on Harter Hill. I’m Virginia Littleton.”

Ellen’s reply:

“Yes, Virginia. I was Ellen Ruth Parrish and lived in the last house up the right fork. The only people that call me Ellen Ruth are from Harter Hill.”

A happy Virginia came back with “It’s good to find old friends, for they are the best and it’s never too late. I am so glad that you never forgot me. I have lived in Four States for 50 years.”

Ellen lives in Fairmont. Virginia still lives in Four States. Helen, the middlewoman in this connection of long-ago friends, lives in Fairmont with James Moore, her husband since 1976.
In the Tinkers-to-Evers-to-Chance tradition, which Cubs baseball fans will remember, it was a double play from Ellen to Hellen to Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment