Thursday, March 31, 2022

PATTI DeMARY EVANS CHOOSES GRANDDAUGHTER OVER MONONGAH ALUMNI BANQUET

 


Patti DeMary Evans, Class of 1972, will be attending the high school graduation of her oldest granddaughter, Joshlynn Boone at Fairmont West, and NOT appearing at the 99th Monongah High Alumni Banquet on the 50th anniversary of her graduation because they both happen Saturday, May 28. 

Patti had to choose. She picked family. So would I.

And echoes of the past are rumbling through her brain when Patti and her father, Frankie DeMary, Class of 1947, did a father-daughter speeches at Monongah High’s 1972 graduation!

Joshlynn was named after both her parents. Her father is Josh, her mother is Brianna Lynn. Cool, huh?

 

Patti is married to Brian Evans, also a Monongah High graduate, who retired after 37 years as a coal miner, including at Consol’s Loveridge Mine.

 

I went back to Patti and asked for her favorite of her years with Josslynn. I’m repeating it here verbatim because there’s no way I could improve what Patti wrote:

 

”My favorite memory with Joshlynn has to be the time Brian and I took her on an RV trip in 2007 to Assateaque Island Beach. (Assateaque is in both Maryland and Virginia.)  She loved the wild horses that walked right up to us in the parking lot.

 

“She still remembers the trip, which makes it special to me, that it will be a forever memory of a special time spent with her.

 

“As I told Linda Gandy, I find it rather amazing that I will have the honor of watching my first grandchild graduate from high school on May 28, 7:30, the same time as my 50th class reunion.

 

“So I won’t be attending the Alumni, yet I am blessed by God to be able to share her very special night, making yet another priceless forever memory.

 

“Wishing all the Monongah Alumni a happy celebration of our priceless memories of MHS! God bless!”

 

Patti is doing EXACTLY what I would do, put family above everything else. As for Assateague I’ve been there several times.  The barrier island is 37 miles long, starting in Maryland and ending in Virginia. Marguerite Henry’s children’s book, “Misty of Chincoteague,” the name of the Virginia side of the island, made the wild horses famous.

 

More than 300 wild horses roam the 2-state island. It’s an awesome site to view them almost everyone tourists travel up and down those 37 miles of shoreline, which once was one solid piece of land till nature’s wrath split a hole to separate with water that man did shored up to have a canal to get out of both states and into the Atlantic Ocean.

 

You’re allowed to look all you want but you cannot touch the horses. “Let wild horses be wild” is the dictum. If you haven’t been there, plan a trip to the 2-state barrier island. You will gawk in awe, as I did. About the only place in America you can do that, despite modern encroachments everywhere else.

 

Patti and Josslynn’s memory stirred up MY memories of those enchanting wild horses.

While Patti will pass on her 50th anniversary reunion with her Class of 1972 (Class of 1962 also is an honor class) I will be there at 6:30 p.m. for 99th annual Monongah High Alumni Banquet, the longest-running high school reunion in West Virginia history.

If you want to attend, too, then print and fill out the form on this blog and mail it in with your check for $30 per person to Donna Davis. The address is on the form. I hope to see you there. 

Patti’s late mother is a bit of a legend, too. That would be Tina Virginia “Peaches” Aldridge DeMary, Class of 1945, who married Frank DeMary, Jr., Class of 1947, and together they owned and ran a grocery story at the end of Bridge Street in Monongah before they moved to Rivesville. Earlier, Peaches and Frank owned a grocery story in Pennsylvania. Peaches’ niece, Jennifer Aldridge Payton, once described Peaches as “The sweetest lady I’ve ever met.”

 

Grocery stores and DeMarys go together like bread and butter. he late John June DeMary, Class of 1937, DeMarys’ Market in Rivesville, just as you cross the railroad tracks off Rt. 19 and the West Fork River. John June’s cousins include Ann DeMary Eates, Class of 1945, widow of Joe Eates, also Class of 1945. Ann and Joe are the godparents of my son, John Larry.

 

Patti and Brian live in Fairmont and vacationed on Carrabelle Beach in Florida’s northwest panhandle, on the Gulf of Mexico coastline southwest of Tallahassee. Patti is a retired nurse (1987-2006) and graduate of MHS and Fairmont State.

 

Frank, Jr.’s parents were Frank Joseph DeMary, who passed away in 1972, and Lena Duva DeMary, who passed away in 1986. His siblings are Louise DeMary Lusi of Clearwater, Florida and Rose Ann DeMary Flore, Class of 1943, married to Robert and living in Princeton, Rhode Island.

 

Frank, Jr.’s brother, Joseph A. DeMary of Rivesville, passed away in 2007. Joe’s children are Kimberly Jo DeMary Clowers, married to Earl Clowers and living in Rossville, Georgia; Sgt. 1st Class Joanne Mary DeMary of Fort Meade, Maryland; another Joseph Allen DeMary, living in Soddy-Daisy, Tennessee with wife Yvonne; and Julie Ann DeMary, also of Soddy.

 

This isn’t the first time that Patti has been involved in a cross-generation event. I’ll let her tell you, as she did me:

 

When MHS was still alive and well, the alumni committee would ask a member of the 25th honor class to give a welcome speech to the graduating senior class. So in 1972 they asked my dad, Frankie DeMary, Class of 1947, to give welcome speech, and I gave the acceptance speech.

 

“Thankfully my Senior English teacher, Rose Matthews Ilich, helped both my dad and me to accomplish this, lol. It was still at the Fairmont Hotel and it was quite an event with way more people in the audience than either of us had ever experienced. It was daunting, to say the least, but we did it!

 

“Now, my daughter’s daughter, my first grandchild, and my parents’ first great-grandchild, will be graduating from Fairmont Senior on May 28th, the same time as my 50th class reunion. So we will be attending her milestone event and I am sure my mom and dad will be smiling down on all of us and our circle of life.”

 

What goes around DOES come around, huh? Wouldn’t it be a great idea for North Marion to do what Patti and Frankie did, have a 25th anniversary graduate of North Marion give the welcoming speech to the 2022 graduating class and then have a child of the welcoming speaker give the acceptance speech! What a great tradition that would be!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment