Wednesday, May 13, 2020


Elwood Toll, Class of 1951, reports that “I’m doing all right. My back doesn’t bother me much. I can’t breathe very well. They messed my lungs up when they did heart surgery.”

Elwood’s back broke in a 2013 auto accident on U.S. 19 in Enterprise that killed his friend, long-time farmer Paul McCoy.

Elwood tells me “I am still living at home. I still drive but I can’t walk without holding onto something.”

Elwood lives in Shinnston. He also is a Fairmont State graduate.

I saw Elwood in 2010 when he got together with his Class of 1951 graduates and spouses at Muriales Restaurant in Fairmont. He was with Arlene Marteney Decker Edgell, Class of 1951; Arlene’s husband, Okey Edgell, Class of 1944; and Kathryn Slamen, Class of 1951.


Okey played football at Monongah High. His parents were Ray and Lucy Cain Edgell. His siblings were Lillieray May “Pickle” Edgell Hall, Jeanette J. Edgell Lane, Doak Edgell and James Edgell.

Elwood and Arlene, who also attended Fairmont State, still are listed as Friends on their Facebook pages.

Elwood once regularly had restaurant breakfast get-togethers with McCoy and Jack Chandler and the late Pete Shreve.

Paul McCoy’s siblings, all deceased along with Paul’s wife, Jeanne, were Leonard McCoy, Louise McCoy Arnett and Mac McCoy.

Elwood and I both were born in November, Elwood on the 13th and be on the 5th.

No comments:

Post a Comment