Friday, December 3, 2021

EVERYWHERE YOU GO IN MARION COUNTY THERE'S A ROBERT MORRIS

 




Robert Morris, Class of 1964, has a zillion copycat names in Marion County alone.

 

A Robert Morris, as I’ve posted before, saved my life when I was a teenager swimming in the Fairmont Field Club pool that was being drained and cleaned. It was legal. The Club let the caddies swim in the filthy water.

 

I was going down for the third time, because the water was so low that I couldn’t reach the edge of the pool, when this Robert Morris grabbed me and kept me alive to be 89 years old. He died a year later.

 

Shockey Mayle did the same favor to Robert Morris, Class of 1964, when they were in elementary school. Saved him from drowning. Shockey passed away in 2018.

 

As for the proliferation of Robert Morrises in Marion County alone, let Class of 1964 Robert Morris explain:

“John, I went to college with 2 other Robert Morrises in my class. I went for an MRI several years ago & when I asked for my results, the lady I was speaking with asked me which Robert Morris are you and I said, I'm the original & she replied I have MRI'S from 7 Robert Morrises & I replied I'M Robert L. and she said I have 3 Robert L. Morris's.

 

“So, My name must be pretty common. “

Indeed.

That might have been in 2007 when Bob battled a foot infection  that lasted 40 days, as he reported in commenting on Linda Dorene Pyles Wright,  Class of 1974, getting an infection after her knee replacement surgery.

John Olesky is common in America and Poland, including at one time a Polish Cabinet minister.

In my family alone I am King John II, my father John W. Olesky Sr. was King John I, my son is King John III, his son is King John IV and his son is King John V.

When people find a name they like they use the

hell out of it.

 

 

 

Robert Morris, who lives in Idamay with wife Paulette, for example, is a son of the late Gene Douglas Morris, Class of 1948, a starting tackle on the 1947 Monongah High football team who also played basketball for the Lions. Gene lived in Enterprise.

 

This Robert Morris’ brother, Paul Maxie Morris, passed away in 2018. His widow is Zelda Morris, Class of 1964 Robert Morris’ sister.

 

Robert and Paul’s parents were Earle Morris and Josephine Hunt Morris. Besides Zelda, other siblings were Gene Morris, who married Mary Jo Heldreth Morris and lived near Whitecottons Store in Bingamon Junction; Jeffrey Wayne Morris, who married Ester; Ruth Morris Kenner, Kathleen Morris Rumer and Leatrice Morris.

I asked Class of 1964 Robert Morris if the Robert Morris who saved me from drowning is related  to him.

 

My drowning savior was Bob Morris, son of Marvin and Lillian Scott Morris, and brother of Marvin Morris, Jr., Class of 1939, and Lois Jean Morris Hamrick.

 

Class of 1964’s Robert Morris’ reply:

 

I don't think that we would be related. My dad was originally from Parkersburg, and my mother was from Prestonburg, Kentucky.

 

“Ironic,  though, we would have been saved from drowning,  you by Robert Morris and me by Shockey Mayle.

 

“Shockey would make a great story for you since he was a 1964 class grad from Monongah High School.  Shockey was a fantastic athlete who excelled at Monongah and Fairmont State College.

 

“After college, he went on to fight in the VietNnm War. He was a highly decorated veteran who won 2 Bronze Stars in battle.

 

“Shockey, Tom Hulderman & Nick "Brother" Saban certainly were the three greatest athletes to have come from Monongah High School.”

 

If you throw in Kerry Marbury, Class of 1964 Bob Morris, then I would agree with you. And maybe Big Jim Lipinski from the 1940s Monongah High teams that were so good they had to go to adjoining states to find schools willing to risk a beating by playing the Lions.

 

Shockey, Class of 1964, passed away in 2018. His widow is Brenda Mayle.

 

Shockey’s parents are Paul Mayle and the  Veldine Mayle Mayle. His first wife was Linda Hettrick of Hubbard, Ohio. Shockey’s children are Jude and Tara.  He also has 3 stepdaughters.

 

Shockey and his brother, Texan Dewayne "Sonny" Mayle, are buried in the West Virginia National Cemetery in Grafton.

 

Shockey was a starter on defense for the 1963 Monongah High football team that came within 12 points of going undefeated and was one of the captains for the 1963-64 Lions basketball team.

 

He attended the 2014 Monongah High Alumni Reunion in Fairmont and the Four States #20 mine survivors reunion.

 

Veldine passed away in 2001 in her Carolina home after 61 years of marriage to Paul.

There’s a Carl Morris, Class of 1966, brother of the late Betty Morris Gorbey.

Caleb Morris, on the 2015 Monongah Lions A-Ball championship team, is Chris Morris’ son and Barb Morris’ grandson.

Charity Morris, daughter of Danny Morris, Class of 1947, is related to Joanna Hewitt Ross, Tom Hewitt’s daughter who married Mike Ross, and Elaine Hewitt Monell, Class of 1949, who married Raymond “Soak” Monell, Class of 1945,  through Sallie Ann Edwards, who came to America from Wales. Sallie Ann was the half-sister of Danny’s mother, Katherine Grace Morris. Her parents were Margaret Elizabeth Jones Edwards and Edward Edwards. Thomas Hewitt was Sallie Ann’s son.

Maybe they should just have a Robert Morris reunion . . . if they can find a park large enough to hold them all.


No comments:

Post a Comment