Wednesday, December 29, 2021

CATCHING UP WITH MARY CATANIA HEYWOOD

 


Mary Catania Heywood, Class of 1945, who lives in Covena, California, reports “my health is poor” and “I am not in touch with anyone in Monongah” any more.

 

Her sister, Carmella Catania Allard, widow of Air Force veteran Omer Allard, passed away in 2018, making Mary the last surviving sibling of the crowd of children on Thomas Street two doors down from the Olesky rental, with the Frank and “Boss” Mangino family between the Olesky and Catania houses.

 

 

Angelo Catania, Class of 1943, a few years before he passed away, took his daughter, Paula Catania, who retired as vice president of Martin Brinkerhoff Associates in Covina, to see the former Catania residence on Thomas Street. “I love the entire street,” Paula said.

 

Mary added:

 

“Angelo and Paula were in Cleveland for our great-nephew’s wedding and, from there, went to Monongah for several days. Your ballfield, as you call it, was something he found very changed. He just couldn’t believe how different it looked.

 

“They saw so many changes. They had a great time.  They brought back pictures of the houses on Thomas Street. Hard to believe the changes. However, he said they all looked nice.”

 

Then Mary gave me perhaps the greatest compliment of my life:

 

“It's beyond me how many hours you spend doing the MHS blog.  Without contradiction, it is excellent, very newsworthy and what a wonderful updater.”

 

It’s just my way of paying back Lions everyone for the marvelous childhood I had in Monongah with the entire town my surrogate when I roamed the streets. If I did a misdeed, the neighbors straightened me out, reported it to my parents and, when I got home and my father stood there with his miner’s belt to whack me, I didn’t ask why. I knew the people trying to keep me from killing myself were at it again.

 

I think God, Sister Agnes and Mary Turkovich, who embarked me on my 43-year newspaper career, were just preparing me to pay back with this Monongah High Alumni blog venture, 25 years after my 1996 retirement from newspapers in Charleston and Williamson, West Virginia, St. Petersburg, Florida, and Dayton and Akron, Ohio.

 

The Brinkerhoff firm’s writers, producers, artists and editors produce award-winning entertainment spectacles in Los Angeles, Paris, Orlando, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Shanghai to help businesses woo clients and to sell their products. Its clients include Honda, Accura, Mitsubishi, Six Flags and Ringling Brothers.

 

It was Angelo who convinced his siblings and their father Mandala Catania to make the move from Thomas Street in Monongah to Covina, which he discovered and fell in love with during his Army Coast Artillery training days of World War II.

By then, Mandala was the widow of Schiro Catania and Covina reminded Mandala of his native Italy.

 

Alex Catania, Class of 1944; Mary Catania Heywood, Class of 1945; Josephine Catania, Class of 1952; and their father, Joseph, joined Angelo, Class of 1943, in the expedition to a new land and a new life.

 

Angelo married a Monongah girl, Pauline Layne Catania, who passed away in 2001. Paula was named for her mother, Pauline.

 

Mary is the widow of Arthur Heywood, who passed away in October 2015.

 

Angelo’s sister, Carmella Catania Allard, Class of 1947, wound up in San Antonio because her husband, Omer, still was in the Air Force when the Catania migration took place. He retired after a pair of decades in The Wild Blue Yonder branch.

 

Alex died in 2007, Josephine in 2009 and Carmella in 2017. 

 

Alex Catania sponsored the Confirmation of Frank Franze, Class of 1950, who lives in Slidell, Louisiana near his daughters.

 

Angelo and Alex once owned and operated the Sinclair Station on U.S. 19 behind the Thomas Street homes’ row of garages and adjacent to the Lawrence and Regina Godby residence. They covered up our “ball field” to put up the building.

 

The Manginos also moved, to the Germantown section of Philadelphia in the 1950s. When I visited the Manginos in my summer hitchhiking tour that took me from Monongah to Chicago (family friends from Italy lived there) to Philadelphia, Boss Mangino slapped my face and said, “Go home; you’re mother’s worried.” Mom was Lena Futten Olesky, born in Pellizzano, Italy, who regularly fainted over my childhood escapades, thereby earning her place in Heaven.

 

If you want to make Mary’s day, you can email her a holiday greeting at heywood1am@verizon.net or post the holiday greeting on her Mary Catania Heywood Facebook page. Or send her a holiday note to:

 

Mary Catania Heywood

833 S Fenimore Avenue

Covina, California 91723

 

Better yet, phone her at (818) 339-4702 and wish her happy holidays and catch up on your Monongah High days with her. She’ll love it and you’ll feel good about it, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment